Thread: Airgun lab's penetration tests.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Airgun lab's penetration tests.

Okay, first off, plastercine is not that easy to come by.
    Refresh phoned alot of places on the East Rand only to come up short, luckily we found some in a small CNA in Northmead Square.

Educational? Yeppers, although probably not what the manufacturer had in mind. Please note we only use Proudly South African products.

The recent cold weather made kneading of the clay quite a task. Please notice that Refresh timed his entrance almost perfectly. The clay was just about finished as he waltzed in the door.

Three setups this time all rated at 12 ft/lbs max.
    My S400K.
    Refresh and his HW100
    Allan sporting a S400 Classic.

All penetration tests where from 30m on the dot. Depth of penetration is indicated as per the digital readout in millimeters. Plastercine was allowed to cool off for about 2 minutes in the fridge after kneading. (Was probably warmer in the fridge than the factory)

First up the HW100 using lubed AA's:

Entry hole at 7mm.

Next up the S400K using lubed AA's:

Entry hole at 7mm.

Next up the S400 Classic using non lubed AA's:

Entry hole at 7mm.

Next up the S400 Classic using non lubed Benjamin Sheridons @ 7.9gr - we agreed that these appeared to be Accupells:

Entry hole at 6 mm.

Next up the S400 Classic using non lubed Gamo TS-10's @ 10.5 grain. (Pointed heads).

Entry hole at 5.7mm

Conclusions:
    Pretty much as expected, the pointed pellets offering deeper penetration at the trade off of enty 'wound' size.
    Plastercine is pretty tough stuff once it's allowed to cool off, when it's warm it's very pliable. Compacts nicely - we had to smack it into squares to ensure there were no air pockets. Quite heavy stuff aswell, didn't really move when we shot at it.
    The S400K's shots were done earlier in the day, a bit warmer, I think that accounts for the slightly deeper penetration level above the other AA's examples.

If anyone would like the original pics at a res of 1600x1200x24 drop me an email and I'll post em off.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Allan thinks ahead, he mixed up a gelatine mixture which was thrown in the freezer for an hour or two.
    Funky stuff, leaves a nice visible pellet path that can be seen without having to cut through it.

Note right at the end, shot through the cap the AA came to rest nicely with a small amount of yaw.

I have this in 1600x1200x24 aswell.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

nice test... but those pic were too small and unclear....

hehe... let me show u a better way to host your pic now.

btw. this is how the s&w .40 case look like after my shot hits it.

as u see. the large images can be hotlinked via above thumbnail. (good choice for slow internet users)

just upload your pic to www.imageshack.us

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Avion ,Boondock had to do one better than us. Thanks for the shoot.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Like I said, I have them in 1600x1200, don't want to upset modem dialup users. I think you can see what needs to be seen as they are crunched though.
    Question about image shack though. Are all your pics public? I archive all my pics on Fotango - quicker and easier than running CD backups for me. Would not like them to be public though. {?

Allan: Cool man - hope you enjoyed yourself. Pity now that the light goes so quickly in the winter. Oh well .. roll on summer.

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Just for interest .Davis Gelatine used .125 g mixed into 1.5l of water. Mix was quite a nice consistancy.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

avion, all uploads are public . hard drive for the rest.

9mm hollow point phone book test @ 3yrs ago:

entry

exit

<span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Sun Jun 12 2005, 12:00AM ]</span>

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Was surprized at the low penetration, granted plastercine is some tuff stuff but still, 27mm deep, hmmm. Would like to have done this test with Hp as well, oh well, need to leave some tests for next time, we do luv our lab experiments.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Yes, yes (Dribble, dribble, drool)

Getting tired of polishing my rifle case, pellets, rifle, cylinder, trigger, scope, lens caps, silencer......

I think you get the idea. With a scratch of luck, and no one else trying to write themselves off in a Mini I should be available.

Man it is good to be back....polishing the rifle case, rifle.......

PS: The wolf pack has grown.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

ah - we might get to see you at a shoot again. Sweet.

Grown? hmm is there something special you're bringing along Saturday perhaps?
    Canihaveafondle?