Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ranging differences

Protea FT Team '12/'16/'17

User Info Menu

Default Ranging differences

Hi all.

Lukas and i were out at the range yesturday.

let me give you the conditions first.

+- 15:30
    clear sky
    bright light
    sun from behind
    +- 24 deg C

two different scope two different rifles

both Lukas and i noticed a difference in the ranging of the target distances, we first notices a 3m difference at 35m both ranged at 38m. we did not take much notice but when we looked at our 42m target and ranged 46m we were both puzzeled. what was wrong now? so we decided to try range again and again and again with the same results, 4m to long. eish what now? ok dial 48 and shoot knowing it is 4m out and yes shooting to high. now dial 42 and shoot well it was spot on.

ok now what will happen at 50m 5-8m out and there is no way you will hit.

then the sun went behind a cloud and gues what rang was now 1m out and not 4m??????? then the sun came out again and gues what back to 4m out. so we decided to test 10m, 17m, 23m, 28m, 33m, 35m, 39m and gues what only from 33m was there a difference (HWY????) but the difference got bigger the futhure out we went. 1m out and 33m 2m out at 35m 3m out at 39m and 4m out at 42m.

so what do we do now? the only conclution that i have is try remember that on a clear day when the sun is bright and from behind you might be over ranging!!!!!!

then what would happen when the sun is in fron of you??? will you under range???

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Total EV View Post
    Hi all.

Lukas and i were out at the range yesturday.

let me give you the conditions first.

+- 15:30
    clear sky
    bright light
    sun from behind
    +- 24 deg C

two different scope two different rifles

both Lukas and i noticed a difference in the ranging of the target distances, we first notices a 3m difference at 35m both ranged at 38m. we did not take much notice but when we looked at our 42m target and ranged 46m we were both puzzeled. what was wrong now? so we decided to try range again and again and again with the same results, 4m to long. eish what now? ok dial 48 and shoot knowing it is 4m out and yes shooting to high. now dial 42 and shoot well it was spot on.

ok now what will happen at 50m 5-8m out and there is no way you will hit.

then the sun went behind a cloud and gues what rang was now 1m out and not 4m??????? then the sun came out again and gues what back to 4m out. so we decided to test 10m, 17m, 23m, 28m, 33m, 35m, 39m and gues what only from 33m was there a difference (HWY????) but the difference got bigger the futhure out we went. 1m out and 33m 2m out at 35m 3m out at 39m and 4m out at 42m.

so what do we do now? the only conclution that i have is try remember that on a clear day when the sun is bright and from behind you might be over ranging!!!!!!

then what would happen when the sun is in fron of you??? will you under range???
    Thats all I need to know you have nothing to worry about.I guess you did your ranging on a less bright day.

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

ps:

Lukas should have not been phased as this is the problem the guys had in Ireland

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

So when is the best time to do range finding on your scope...?

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

A cloudy day sets a happy middle ground.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    A cloudy day sets a happy middle ground.

That just wont cut it, when is it a spot on centre day to do range finding....

How about indoors, how does that affect the range finding capabilities...

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Its all got to do with light.The more light you have the easyer it is to range find.

So its up to you to do it when you can and learn what to do under different conditions.

Protea FT Team '07/'08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13
    National FT Champ '09/'13

User Info Menu

I know that Dale from England said before, that they find better results, when ranging in cloudy conditions. I think that it is true for the conditions that they have in the UK, where bright sunny days, is a scarecity, and cloudy days the norm. The UK shooters said to us at the Worlds, that they battle to do accurate ranging in bright sunshine.

I personally prefer setting up my ranging in bright sunshine, as that is what we have here in SA, 95% of the time, and then I know that I slightly over range on cloudy days, with the Nikko, and underrange with the Leupold.

I have subsequintly sold the Leupold, and got the new model Nikko in its place.

I have tested it today, and so far I am very impressed with the results. I will post a report later, when I have done more tests on it.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Cant wait to hear the report, will study it very good as I also got one myself... Maybe you can help me set it up Piet, I know it will cost me a case of beer...LOL

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

The bottom line is the closer the conditions are to those that you set your gun in the better for you

Protea FT Team '07/'08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13
    National FT Champ '09/'13

User Info Menu

That is exactly why I do mine in bright sunshine, as we have here in SA, at 95% of our shoots. I then make a note, of what influence cloudy, and shady conditions have on my settings.

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Eish...

This is all too complex for my brain to handle.

What happened to 'mik en pluk'?

Use open sights dammit!

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Piet Skiet View Post
    I know that Dale from England said before, that they find better results, when ranging in cloudy conditions.
    Hi Piet,

That isn't quite what I have said.

What I have been saying for a long time now is that range finding will vary dependent on light level (a lot of people blame temperature). I think the case in the opening post amply supports what I have been saying.

If you set your scope's range markings in extremes of light level they will vary greatly when conditions change.

Where possible I would look to set up on a 'middle of the road' day in respect of light conditions as this will minimise the degree of any variations as conditions alter.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kleinkoppi View Post
    So when is the best time to do range finding on your scope...?
    I favour a bright but slightly diffused light - so a day with a very light overcast of cloud would be ideal.

The real problem I have found stems from extremes - so extremely bright glaring light or very dull days are best avoided for calibrating range markings.
    Last edited by Dale; 03-11-08 at 11:25.

Protea FT Team '12/'16/'17

User Info Menu

the problem is there is a difference on the same day as to when the sun is behind a cloud and 5 min later it is out again.

the best would be to use a total clowed cover or total open sky to do your ranging.