Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MOA and Clicks

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Default MOA and Clicks

Went on Sat morning to set up my 10-50 NIkko. 2007model. As I understand you have 1/8th MOA clicks on the nikko. Now my question.. I want to use Chairgun to complete my setup as I did not have more than 2 hours to use on Sat. Chairgun (which I assume is default setting on 1/4Moa per click says 4.285 Clicks per MOA. does this mean it isnt realy 1/8 but rather closer to maybe 1/8th minus 1/16th of an 1/8th. Thus 8.5clicks for a MOA. Reson I am asking is I want to get it right? Why would the default be 4.285 Clicks per MOA if it should be 4? Or am I missing the point here..?

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

That sounds like it is set for the turret calibrated at 1/4 inch @ 100 yards - 1/4 inch is close to but not exactly 1/4 MOA hence the difference you have seen.

In real world terms the difference will be absolutely negligible.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

So Dale, should I say 8 or 8.57 clicks per MOA? seems like being wrong could put you off by 7%

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Can you adjust your scope by 0.57 of a click?

Round up or down to the nearest whole click - the variation you are thinking of here is minute. To put it into perspective, consider a big Nikko with 1/8th turrets:

1 click = 1/8 inch at 100 yards = 0.125 inches = 125 thousandths of an inch,

therefore 1 click = 60 thousandths of an inch at 50 yards,

1 click = 30 thousandths of an inch at 25 yards,

1 click = 12.5 thousandths of an inch at 10 yards.

The 7 percent at airgun distances is a fraction of a pellets width............

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

I hear you Dale.. but if I were to extrapolate further... At 50m I would be using 40+clicks from the zenith lets say it is 50clicks based on a lower mounted scope. Now as you pointed out 1 click is 1.58mm @ 50m so 50 clicks is 80mm or rather 8cm of which the error could be 7.1% or rather 5mm.. mmmm ok 5mm on 50m may not sound like much but when you need all the help you can get it may make the diffs as it is 15% of the max available target.. or rahter .. if you were using the wrong moa setting you would hit 5mm lower or higher. on a radius of 20mm @ 50m the diffs can be very big if you range slightly wrong. adding the 3mm that pelet weight can change not to speak of the slight variation in velocity and you are flirting with disaster. Not that it would probably make a diffs when I am shooting but it could make a diffs when I split a pellet

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

So what I am saying is.. if it is not realy 1/8 but rather just below 1/8th then I dont have an issue.. But why make the scopes like this when 1/8th would have been so much simpler?

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Well at the end of the day you are still going to have to go out and shoot it to find the exact setting.

Chairgun will only do so much, it will never IMO replace checking the rifle on the range.

Some scopes are calibrated in fractions of an inch e.g. Nikko 1/8" at 100 yds, others are calibrated in MOA (e.g. Leupold) - that is just the way it is.
    Last edited by Dale; 04-11-08 at 14:42.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

thanks Dale.. you just answered my question.. MOA is 100m right not yards. If Nikko is 1/8 @ 100 yards the MOA makes more sense.. as you should add 1/9th to get to MOA.. Makes all the sense actualy So MOA of 8.57 is correct

edit: my appologies.. MOA is 1.047" at 100 yards which makes me think if Nikko scopes are 8clicks for 100Yard as looking at my math it must be the other way around. If Nikko are 8 clicks for 1" @ 100 yards then the MOA should be 8.376clicks for a MOA
    Last edited by JTK; 04-11-08 at 14:53.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

MOA being an angular measurement is 'correct' at any distance - however the linear value subtended by MOA is variable with distance

So a scope calibrated in say 1/4 MOA moves the POI by 1/4 MOA per click irrespective of distance. A scope that is calibrated for say 1/4"@100yards only adjusts by that value per click at that distance.
    Last edited by Dale; 04-11-08 at 14:52.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

question remains though if Nikko is 1/8thMOA click or 8 clicks for 1" at 100 yards..

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

What does it say on your turret?

Mine was engraved as follows: 1/8" 1Click - which I would take to mean 1/8" @ 100 yards.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

havent looked.. my turret has a big turret on now that I dont want to remove.. Maar nou ja.. Anyone with a 2007 big nikko that can shed light as to what is engraved on top? does it say 100 yards? or are we making the asumption because moa is @ 100yards?

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

The adjustment value is repeated on the windage turret............

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

thanks Dale.. will check tonight.. off hand.. do you remember how many clicks we have in a revolution.. If memory serves we have 7x8 + 4 = 60 right?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

JTK,
    Off hand I can't tell you now what is engraved on the turret, but what I can tell you is that I used CG to print labels for my 10x50 scope and it is spot on IF you put the correct data into the program. I assume you also know that you can change the settings from 1/4 to 1/8th on CG. I put 1/8th and it works very well. Brian will also tell you that when he used CG he founf his scope to be out by two clicks only. I use MOA now not a big turrent any more and I made my crip-note with CG and I'm spot on, if I do my bit. As Dale saiddon't worry yourself about that little bit. Nobody can do settings that is correct to one or two clicks, in any case. I would not believe that in a monthof Sundays.

Yes 8x7 (1-7) and only 4 between 7 and 8 on your trurret = 7x8+4=60 minutes of angle
    Last edited by gerrief; 04-11-08 at 15:27.