Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sharpedge in Sandton City

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Sharpedge in Sandton City

Gotta share this experience with you! Popped into Sharpedge in Sandton City last week. Saw an ad for a Walther lever action co2 (copy of Winchester) which I was interested in. First things first. I asked them if they stock Weihrauchs, and the salesman said he'd never heard of this make. Upon asking about the lever action, the salesman told me it was as accurate as a PCP. I told him I own three AA models, and was assured this would equally as accurate. He then pulled the lever action off the shelve, which in itself is a sexy little thing (R6,300 for the rifle + 4x32 scope). I was led to believe that they don't keep stock in the store, but sold the display models, and just pulled another rifle from a storeroom somewhere, which they'd then use as a display model till that too was sold. The rifle had a bit of surface rust on it, obviously from more handling than cleaning. I said that I was happy to take the display model, if I get a reasonable discount seeing it was handled by (possibly) hundreds of people, and had rust on it. Best they could do was 5%, which you'd get as a cash buyer in any event. Truth be told, if I got 10% off I would have bought it. It did make me think though whether I'd be happy dealing with them at all in future. Gotta wonder how many 'display model' springers have been dry fired and sold as 'new' to unsuspecting buyers.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Hi AFab,

Most of the sales people there don't know what they are talking about. In any case I have spoken to the owner and his marketing strategy seems to be avoiding the serious FT shooters. For him they are too choosy and not easy to make money from. Whether right or wrong, I guess it works because that shop has been in business for many years now. I'm surprised that they wanted to sell you a display rifle. I bought my BSA from there and first I looked at the display one, then when I wanted to buy, they brought a sealed box from the storage room. Anyway, I think it's OK to buy from them (if the price is right), just don't listen to their opinions.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Sharpedge is literally the last place you buy from, 'cause you first want to look elsewhere and do research, get some experience and then go to Sharpedge and buy. That way you know what you're looking for without needing to deal their staff. Also, while they claim they support/service their airrifles ("from their warehouse"), one needs to understand that this is not always so and that you're pretty much on your own. They never cease to disappoint (ex. They have a monopoly on BSA distribution, but can't even supply parts. WTF?) They may have been in business for a while but the information age is catching up with their dated "business" practices. They need to catch a wakeup.

I only go there for their knives when the bug bites me.

ps: Have you seen their latest BSA PCP prices. Holy Cr@p!!! There's no way in hell those guns are worth that much, regardless of exchange rates.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I've bought my Whalther/Umarex scope from them online as well as some pellets and a set of BSA mounts. Must say that they are fast on delivering service as my mail was answered, payment was accepted and all items were delivered in the same week. I will use them again.

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

One wonders how a company can sit with the same stock for so long.

I've been looking at a Ultra from Sharp Edge for months. The confidence is just not there to make the purchase.

REP: The Airgun Shop

User Info Menu

Interesting that you mentioned that they sell "used" rifles as new.
    I ordered 2 BSA's from them before. First one wouldn't group at all. I'm talking almost impossible to hit a beer can at 10m. Also had a vicious twang. Other rifle had tool marks on and the breech seal was broken. Also had a nasty rattle and lots of spring twang. According to them it was supposed to look like that and the only reason nobody could get a decent grouping was because the guys in Cape Town apparently can't shoot.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
    ...and the only reason nobody could get a decent grouping was because the guys in Cape Town apparently can't shoot.
    Truth hurts, hey

REP: The Airgun Shop

User Info Menu

Well, compare it with this grouping from a .20 HW97K (by a Cape Town shooter)

ps: Blankster, Click here

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

ROTFL!!!made my day.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

That grouping at 50M is so good that I wonder why they invented pcp's... For a springer, unbelievable. I wonder if my pcp can group like that, even if its in a vise-grip, let alone when I'm sitting.

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Mmm... that 50m group is too good.

What is this guys name... God?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Agree, thats to good to be true.

Can anyone back Farmer on this? Eyewitness????

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Blankster, now you have ruined the frienship.

It's the wind,try shooting today.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Well, compare it with this grouping from a .20 HW97K (by a Cape Town shooter)

Hi Farmer,

Really interested to get more info on the setup for this kind of grouping at 50m - any kits installed or standard .20 HW97K, scope, pellets, shots, etc.?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Well, regadless of Farmers grouping dealing with Sharpedge still sucks...