Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MTC vs Nikko Stirling Diamond

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default MTC vs Nikko Stirling Diamond

Both are manufactured in Japan.
    I bet they both come from the same factory in Japan?

Lets use for example the same magnification, and lense. Which one is better?

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

eish.. this could end up again in a popularity contest. I like the diamond Nikko's. Best bang for buck for us that cannot buy leupolds but I havent used a MTC so cannot comment on the comparison.

REP: Air Rifle Pros

User Info Menu

My 2 cents for what its worth. I like the MTC far more than the Nikko.

The clarity of the MTC lenses is substantially better and it is also less temperamental iro parallax when changing magnifaction.

I do not think that they come from the same factory!

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

To add more petrol to the fire.....

I phoned Lynx in SA and they said Lynx scopes also comes from Japan......

ooooops. What now?
    How can the lenses on the MTC be so much better if all of the above comes from Japan and they all use Japanese lenses?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Well thats like saying Alfa and Ferrari is the same thing...... both are from italy but one I wouldnt want for free and the other Id give an arm for

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

lynx and nikko diamonds not the same?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

a Mazda 323 and a Mazda RX8 also come out of the same factory. But just look at the difference. At the end you get what you pay for. The new 10-50 Nikko's are great when you read their reviews, but just look at their price. It is expected of them to perform as they do. If their price were only R1500.00 I will bet on it that they would'nt have been so good.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Lets try to compare apples to apples

Quoted from Airgunfanatix website-

6-24x42 DIAMOND SPORTSMAN (M/D) (R 3,860.00)
    6-24x56 MTC Viper Black - Side wheel (R 4,273.50)

The lense on the Viper is bigger and you get IR, therefore its more expensive.

What about the quality between the 2?

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

so the prices are pretty much the same.. and if you can go with the specs it appears the nikko is more expensive than the MTC by a smidgen.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Ian could nt be more wrong MTC is manufactured by optisan in China to MTC's Spec dont believe me ask Gary Cooper the founder of MTC .

Nikko stirling makes everything except for the 10x50x60 in china. I own 2 Diamond Supreme's made in Japan (hakko) both the 10x42SF and 16x42SF and as far as clarity and crispness the mtc falls short to the Jap Diamond.

Pity the Jap diamond is gone after they got bought out it was similiar to the tasco titan top quality and an affordable price ironically both got bought out.

If i had to choose between an MTC and the new diamond series hands down the MTC wins. But nikko will always have there trump card that being the ever popular 10x50x60

Lynx and nikko models are identical just rebranded made in the same factory being hakko in Japan . your looking at R4500 for an new 10x42

BTW Hakko also manufactures the SWFA Line of scopes.

User Info Menu

Japan has a number of manufacturers. Because both scopes come from Japan does not necessarily imply that all lenses come from the same manufacturer.

No Lynx and Nikko Diamonds are not neccesarily the same. There is commonality between some models but only a few.

Also bear in mind that manufacturers will build to a specification and price if so requested. Lynx scopes are some of the best available from Japan.
    Last edited by Importer; 13-11-08 at 12:43.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    If i had to choose between an MTC and the new diamond series hands down the MTC wins.
    Have you tested the new Nikko Stirling Diamond series...?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Importer I lost you there...

Avi and JTK said the big Lynx and big Nikko is the exact same scope.
    You say the 10-50 Nikko is not exactly the same as the 10-50 Lynx?

The general Lynx scope is better than the general Nikko Diamond although MTC, Lynx and Diamond uses Japanese lenses.

User Info Menu

No Ian read my post again! I said that there are some scopes that are common the older Big Nikko and the Lynx 10-50X60 being one. However I must also point out that Lynx no longer Import the 10-50X60.

Protea FT Team '06

User Info Menu

my 2c - directions get sent to the main Jap factory by each companys such as lynx/nikko and so on, and they get built to the spec of that company sending the directions.

For example: I was explained by the late Tom rogers. when you go to the jap factory, they show you all the possiblities of what lenses and tubes are available (obviously a massive selection of good and bad quality items).

Then lets say you want it to have tolerances 0.06 milimeters in the zoom focus - that will cost you so much.

And then lets say you want it to have tolerances of 0.02 milimeters in the zoom focus- that will cost you so much 'extra'.

and so it goes on for each and every feature of the scope. You could have two identical looking scopes in your hand, but they've been built under differnt 'specification' supplied by the company. thats why lynx was more expensive then other scopes in a similar "looking" class, because Tom rogers wanted quaility in his products and designed it with better specs, thus increasing the price on a similar scope.

I choose to believe this philosophy, do what you need with it.