Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: springer & scope choices/advice needed.........

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default springer & scope choices/advice needed.........

took my diana to the range this morning...........after a quick zero @ 30m, i went through the same club shoot course we did last weekend. the result........half of my pcp score. eeish!!!
    never the less, it reminded me how i got into airgunning in the first place, and how critical proper techniques are required to pull off a shot with a springer. with springer HFT on the horizon, i'm excited......i think by shooting a springer regularly it can only improve my shooting skills/techniques.

just looking at what's available out there................i don't think one can do much better than either TX200HC or HW97K. anyone with experience of both? from what i gathered from the uk forums........the TX is better outta box, but the 97k has better tuning potential. i've only shot the TX in FAC, beast of a springer and accurate too. off the bench, sub 10mm groups @ 25m was like the norm. i've only handled the 97k at the shop, oh plus one shot into the phone book unscoped . oh yes there's always the prosport. hmm.......

i see leupold and nikko nighteater do a fixed 12X scope, anyone know if they are springer rated.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I've shot both, bought the HW97K though. Prefered the weight and balance of the Weihrauch.
    Not too keen on the AA anti-beartrap.
    The autosaftey on the HW became a pain after a while and it's not resettable, can't remember if the AA is any different though.
    Not really fair to compare triggers either IMHO - as the Weihrauch's is far superior.
    Out of the two models that I had access to, the Weihrauch had a nicer stock - but as I'm trying to get across - I only had one sample of each.

hth

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Urabus . I always thought a Diana was good. I dont even want to think what my springer would do.Would a less powerfil springer not be easyer to handle.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Forgot to add, the best groups I ever got with my HW97K was thumbnail size at 40m, rested. Very nice rifle, but alas the itch to get a PCP was too great.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

After Urabus had finished I got my Gamo 400 out & did the course . I've a BSA fixed 4 power scope on it .

It was'nt too bad on the close shots but out towards 30m & further , I get a metal strike , but no fall down ????

I shot a poor 8 / 30 , where as with the AA withlots of wobble got 19 .

Got to stop shaky jakes ! !

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

mmm...doubt very much the HW trigger is superior to the AA trigger...both are as good as each other once set up correctly.
    The ProSport is the best of the lot in my opinion although it is more expensive.
    The lines are beautiful and so is the shape of the stock.
    The anti-bear trap mechanism is completely silent unlike on the TX.
    Out of the box it is vastly superior to the HW...the HW obviously benefiting more rom a tune but not to the point where it becomes better than the AAs.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Re: Prices.

Got quotes from the same shop last year October. (2004)
    ProSport R6100.00
    TX200 Mk3 R4500.00
    HW97K Mk2 R3765.00

Word of warning on the ProSport, cocking arm failure, snaps off around the pivot. This might have been changed since, but it was aluminium.
    IIRC Breyt's Pro-Sport had to go back twice for this same fault.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Here's a thread from the UK forum on exactly the same rifles. From what I've read on this forum the TX vs HW saga has been a continual discussion for many moons.

http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68271

hth

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

shot guys for the inputs............much appreciated.

hey gerry, it was like the opposite with me...........most of the targets i knock down were around my 30m zero. i had problems with hold over/under.....etc should have took another 30 min to work out the trajectory. having said that, i don't think it was gona make too much of a difference......4 10mm reducers and 20mm out to 35m

the model 46 is pretty sweet.........but hey, u guys should know me well enough by now, i dig new toys
    will do some price checks to'ow.....laminated 97k or TX200HC walnut.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

hey urabus you still got...hornet,EV2,air arms 410 and BAM you now going to buy a fith gun??

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

and I'm down to only 4 now...sigh..need a new toy I think.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Hi Urabus,

I've not owned an HW97, but have had several HW77's down the years as well as various TX200's and a couple of Pro-Sports.

In terms of out of the box performance the TX wins, it is a smoother rifle to shoot At 12ft.lbs the Mk1 and 2 variants were the best the Mk3's are sweet at around 15-16ft.lbs.

The trigger unit on the TX is better than the Weihrauch unit as it offers a greater range of adjustability. When correctly adjusted is pretty much superior to anything you will find on a top pcp rifle except perhaps EV2 and similar rifles. The only spring gun trigger unit I can think of that is better than the AA, was the Venom Mach1 unit.

In terms of the tuning potential of the HW97 a basic tune is only going to bring it up to just below the level of the TX, the only way of improving it further is the Venom Lazaglide system, but the cost of this on top of the rifle makes me recommend the TX anyway.

The Pro-Sport is a truly beautiful rifle, only sold mine recently because I was not really using it enough to warrant keeping it, plus for FT type shooting with a springer I prefer the balance of the TX with more out front weight, so my current springer outfit is a TX200 Mk1 fitted with a Maccarri target thumbhole stock. this rifle will group sub 20mm at 50 metres when I do my part.

In terms of the two scopes you mention the Leupold will survive a springer - I use a 3-9x33 on mine and have also used a 6.5-20EFR as well, the other scope you mention may or may not be up to the job.

Dale

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Dale, just out of curiousity - why no .22's in your collection?

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Hi Avion,

I used to be a confirmed .22 user for hunting and .177 for target. Then one day I took a .177 pre-charged rifle out into the fields and suddenly my kill rate jumped by at least 50%. Plus I was getting more instant kills than I ever got with .22.

I also find that it seems to be easier to get good accuracy at 12ft.lbs with the .177 than .22, however although I don't use FAC rated airguns (the land over which shoot is either suited to 12ft.lbs air rifle only or is suitable for cartridge rifle and my .22 CZ Varmint is a lot cheaper than any decent FAC air rifle) if I went for a high power I would have a .22 as I could run it at the same speed as a 12ft.lbs .177 and end up with a trajectory I am familiar with and nearly double the power.

I do have a few .22 airguns, one is a Mk1 BSA Airsporter from the 1950's which I have because I like the design, a chinese CO2 rifle which I got ridiculously cheap and is good for short range rat and pigeon shooting, an ancient Relum Tornado that belonged to my late father (learned to shoot with this one as a youngster) and several air pistols in .22.

Hope that helps your curiosity.

Dale

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Yep. I will sleep soundly tonite.

Been reading in the comics about .22's being more affected by the wind than the .177's.

Strange, as you probably are aware, that here we have no power restrictions whatsoever, only calibre.
    Could legally own a .177 doing 60ft/lbs but not a 1ft/lbs 0.22 air rifle.