Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: PCP vs Springer

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default PCP vs Springer

I am in the market for a new air rifle, (from Dad to Dad) what I want to do with it is metal silhouette shooting and hunting. Budget is around R5K.

I would say that the power factor is important from the hunting prospective and I don't necessarily need tack driving accuracy for the silhouette shooting. I would prefer larger than .177 calibre but I don't want to go through licencing procedures. (I have 12 firearms)

With this shopping list in mind - the pros and cons of a Springer vs PCP as from what I have heard are:

Springer + convenience (no recharging equipment required)
    + more power than PCP?
    + inexpensive
    - recoil
    - weight
    - scope damage

PCP + no recoil
    + accuracy
    - recharging equipment required
    - expensive

From a maintenance perspective - I don't know which is better?

Does a .20 cal need a licence?

Any advice or input would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Anton.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Hi Anton,

your pro's and cons.. PCP can have more power than a springer PCP in .2 the guys can almost tap 60flbs out of modified rigs. Springer max maybe 16flbs? A FAC springer can be very difficult to shoot. .2 cal doesnt need a licence. If your budget is only R5k and you need to included a scope then you may have to search a while. Unlikely to get a PCP setup for that. Rifle + filling equipment. Yo may be able to find a HW in .2 which would probably be a good starting point. Maybe a 90 with a ram.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Anton

Maybe JTK's tuned gamo might suit you

Or just wait for a second hand bam or cz to come up for sale...... keep saving

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

USING CAPS TO ADD COMMENTS

Quote Originally Posted by Antonv View Post
    With this shopping list in mind - the pros and cons of a Springer vs PCP as from what I have heard are:

Springer + convenience (no recharging equipment required) - AGREED
    + more power than PCP? - THE PCP'S PUSH OUT MUCH MORE AFTER BEING TUNED
    + inexpensive - NO SUCH THING
    - recoil - CAN BE DAMPENED WITH A TUNE/AFTERMARKET PARTS
    - weight - AGREED
    - scope damage - NOT IF YOU BUY THE RIGHT SCOPE. Nikko Stirling AIRKING/LEAPERS

PCP + no recoil - VERY LITTLE
    + accuracy - SAME AS A GOOD SPRINGER. PCP IS EASIER TOO SHOOT GOOD.
    - recharging equipment required - AGREED
    - expensive - YOU HAVE NO IDEA YET LOOKING AT YOUR BUDGET

From a maintenance perspective - I don't know which is better? - PERSONAL PREFERENCE IN MY OPPINION IF YOU WILL NOT BE DOING COMPETITIONS.

Does a .20 cal need a licence? - NOT AT THE MOMENT

Any advice or input would be much appreciated!

YOUR BUDGET LEANikko Stirling TOWARDS A SPRINGER. I'D PUT MY $ TOWARDS A WEIHRAUCH IF I WERE IN YOUR PLACE AND BUY A NIKKO STIRLING OR LEAPERS SCOPE FOR IT. FOR R5000 YOU CAN GET BOTH NEW UNLESS THERE ARE SOMETHING THAT CATCHES YOUR EYE. SPEAK TO FARMER AND GUIDO.

Thanks,
    Anton.
    With R5000 you can get a very nice package but I would try and save a bit more to get to the real satisfying stuff. I am pro springer because of it's simplicity compared to a PCP. Less to haul around. I am going to buy a PCP someday because a high powered springer is only fun to shoot for x qty of pellets after it becomes painful.

PCP's are very convenient and an absolute pleasure to shoot.

PCP
    +Almost no recoil
    +Pellet weight as no adverse effects that I know of
    +Light and easy to carry around if you buy the right one. There are dog heavy PCP's as well.
    +You won't feel like you have been working all day shooting it.
    +Wider selection of scopes can be used
    +Something the whole family can enjoy
    + More acurate than a PCP because it's easier to shoot and generally better quality workmanship. It's humanly more accurate but mechanicly a good springer is as accurate.
    +Loads of extra power with a good tune but it drops your pellet count per fill dramatically.

-Much more expensive than a springer when comparing apples with apples
    -Your location depending you might struggle to find someone near you to fix it once something goes wrong
    -Scuba tank / filling adaptor required on trips if you plan to shoot alot.
    - You typically have 20-30 full power shots (or less if tuned up) before velocity starts dropping. You need to spend more $ on a stock PCP to up the power unless you buy a FAC+ rifle from the start.

That's my 2c.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

The springer action is NOISY. The report may be silenced, but a springer is only as quite as it's action.
    Last edited by blankster; 20-11-08 at 10:35.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Michael, onthou net.. as jy die 97 verkoop, ek staan voor in die ry

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Something that puts PCP's in a totally different class for me is the fact that they are available as multishots. That was one of the reasons that made me bought one. Its very nice to have when doing targetshooting and lying flat on your stomack. Much more comfortable to use. Still, I would love to own a HW97K in 5mm. I've never heard a bad thing about them so you cant go wrong with it.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

JTK- have you cronographed your tuned gamo and if so what mv does it push out and with what weight pellet? I assume it is .177......

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

HI Anton, she puts out just below 12flbs. the standard gamo's puts out just above 12flbs. I put a macarri terantula spring and seal in her and fitted it with a custom guide and 2 piece brass tophat + a GRTIII trigger. Firing cycle is nice and smooth and the recoild is much more in line with what you want from a high quality springer. You may ask about the drop in fps but the accuracy is so much better due to consistancy. If you plan to go shoot hft on a budget with her you wont go wrong. I also have a new stock standard CFX royal which I will give a lube tune for the lucky buyer for R2.5k You just need to get a scope. Thing is then you might as well get the tuned one as it is a better deal due to the hunderds of rands worth of parts and hours of work. I should ask for plenty more but wont get it..

btw, yes it is .177 She shoots about 790 if memory serves me and the stock ones in the region of 830.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I think a hw90 in .20 will do the trick very nicely. Very powerful, gas ram system (no tune needed), accurate and yet a challenge to shoot - but so satisfying when you get it right. Prices aren't bad for what you get either.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I disagree with the HW90.
    It needs to filled every year or 2. Very heavy. You need to mount your scope using a Dampa mount which cost over R2000.

Descent .20 pellets are not commonly available and more expensive than .177. Rather go with a second hand HW77 or 97 in .177
    Due to the great accuracy you can easily hunt small vermin up to 50m with it.

my 2c

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

That power sounds a bit low for the hunting side...........

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Depends what you want to hunt. Get the right tool for the job.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

guys in the UK hunt with 12flbs rifles and they shoot rabits with those.. Again as stated before.. dont look at power. look at accuracy and consistancy. The CFX will not be a good hunting rig as you need to put effort into getting a good shot but excels at target shooting. The HW's are heavy. and may also not be a good hunting rig option. Pin point accuracy is what you need for hunting. Power is over rated. I have read, and I will never condone it, EVER, but have read of two dears shot with a .177 CFX one shot kills overseas. Bad idea, but it just shows you that accuracy is king.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JTK View Post
    The HW's are heavy. and may also not be a good hunting rig option.
    Better explain to the many thousands of rabbits, pigeon, crows etc that were shot with those HW spring guns, that the guns weren't good hunting rigs

Seriously before pcp's became flavour of the month rifles such as the HW's, BSA's, Webley's etc accounted for loads of quarry. My first hunting air rifle was an HW77K and it did its job very well.