Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pellet problem...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default pellet problem...

why do i get better grouping from the H&N diabolo and EJ than any of the other like crosmans, the CP's are crap in .20 but in .177 they are the best...
    in .20 even the JSB's cant get to the H&N diabolo's
    the dome shape of the JSB tel me that they should give me a good grouping but they just fail me every time..
    i have made some awsome shots with the H&N at75M plus
    but any of the pellets the same shaoe as the H&N in .177 is crap
    ................any help

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Every rifle is different, some pellets just shoot better groupings.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I think that some rifles are more pellet specific than others. for instance my FX .177 hates JSB heavy and love Crosman ultra mag.

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gerhard.erasmus View Post
    why do i get better grouping from the H&N diabolo and EJ than any of the other like crosmans, the CP's are crap in .20 but in .177 they are the best...
    in .20 even the JSB's cant get to the H&N diabolo's
    the dome shape of the JSB tel me that they should give me a good grouping but they just fail me every time..
    i have made some awsome shots with the H&N at75M plus
    but any of the pellets the same shaoe as the H&N in .177 is crap
    ................any help
    Haa Haa.No chance.

I can only say the rifle will tell you what it likes.Go with it.

I have found the more solid pellets do better in high power unit.

Rest in Peace Paul 25/12/2013
    Springer FT World Champion '08/'10

User Info Menu

Airgun barrels can be strange things... I found out earlier this year that my HW100 in .177 will only shoot the HW FTT (Very similar to the H&N FTT) pellets consistently well for around a 1000 shots after which it sprays them out like a hosepipe, this is sorted by a thorough clean of the barrel after which accuracy is restored. This is made increasingly annoying by the fact that when accuracy is lost trying a different pellet, namely JSB's or Prem's gives excellent accuracy with no clean whatsoever, then trying HW FTT's and the groups open up?
    Strange!
    Both my Steyr LG100 and HW97K shoot the 7.9 Crosman premiers very well, lubed with Lubro teknik LT1 pellet lube.
    Gerhard, have you tried different head sizes? This can help. I'm afraid that experimentation with different pellets/head sizes is the only way to find what suits your particular gun.
    ATB with the search.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I did try a few but .20 pellets is hard to come by where i live.
    i am going to clean the barrel, wash the pellets start again...
    i just wish i can get some of those H&N diabolo...
    snik snik...
    and now i got 600 CP pellets that i can spray and pray

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Gerhard het jy al Farmer probeer? Ek het verlede week 4 blikkies H&N Baracuda .20 by hom gekoop. Donnerse goeie prys ook betaal vir hulle. Sal myne eers volgende naweek kan vergelyk met JSB .20

Protea Benchrest (Air) Team '08/'10/'11/'13/'15

User Info Menu

there is some strange ways that pellets works in pellet-guns. With my BSA meteor I have found that at 40m Dynamit Noble wad cutters and Alccupell round heads shoot the same grouping.

Protea Benchrest (Air) Team '08/'10/'11/'13/'15

User Info Menu

where can I find N&H Baracuda Match extra heavy .177

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I've bought mine at Senwes.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

What rifle did you use and at what fpe is it set?
    Last edited by IAN; 24-11-08 at 10:11.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Pellet problem

Ok so i cleaned the barrel and went to test...now the grouping on the H&N are crap and the JSB are pretty good...will put the few flyers down to my shaking and the rest on a flimsy table...still the grouping is not what i would like it to be, maybe i am spoiled by the 400 fac...can any one help me with a 25" barrel and some spares for the talon like valve and hamer...?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

quite a normal phenomenon and process called leading up the barrel. the more leaded the barrel, the more accurate the shot generally is. I only clean my barrel once a month and then have to put between 30 and 60 shots through it until it groups properly again.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Had the exact same thing on my Bam 50. After a barrel clean i need to shoot +- 50- shots to get it to group again. The JSB heavies is the ONLY PELLET that this rifle gives decent groupings with. Does not like CP Ultramags, or H&N Baracudas. JSB's group at least 30+% better than any other make tried so far.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Talon Valves

Hey Gerhard
    (going teach my grandmother to suck eggs next)

The challenge with the talon is to decide what you want to do. I have 2
    1 is a 25" monster. The other I am trying to get it to 12 fpe. Purely because I believe you can. The difference comes from the valves and springs.
    To get the best you need to balance/match the rifle parts.

i.e. a 25" barrel in .2 performs best with a heavy hammer (90 + grams) and a stronger spring (the talon is 3 pounds per inch and the condor is closer to 7). This needs to be matched with a high flow valve (5mm port). This will result in a harder trigger pull and more movement in the rifle (for want of a better word lets use recoil).

My "baby talon has a 10 inch barrel, a soft spring and standard valve. I am getting 800fps with a .177 pellet.
    I don't know what grouping you are looking for but this setup shoots more accurately than the 25" at 30 metres ( 20 cent, 10 shot group).

The best "combo for accuracy (20 cent piece at 45 metres) that I have found is:
    20" .2 barrel
    heavy brass hammer (90 grams)
    standard spring
    hi-flow valve (5mm port)
    velocities were
    wheel setting Velocity14.5 JSB's Enjins (23.6grs)
    1.0 680
    5.0 765
    8.0 932 710
    10 986 857
    12 1032 (34 f/lbs) 875 (40 f/lbs)

Changing the spring increased the "trigger pull" , Enjins on a wheel setting of 4 increased to 960 fps and using a 25" barrel increase it again to 1009 fps.

I stopped there as I lost interest and went hunting. I have ordered some more springs and different weigh hammers and will continue the tests in a few weeks.

Ps I don't shoot that well (although the rawbits don't complain much) so please taken those grouping as the poorer end of the scale as there are guys on this forum (particularly the FT guys) who could probably get that grouping down to the 10 cent mark.