Thread: Gas ram for springer?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Gas ram for springer?

Hi.I have read that there is a gas ram available for certain models of spring air rifles, like the Gamo hunter range. I have the Shadow 1000, and with about 5500 shots on the first spring, it is time for a replacement. Might as well replace with a gas ram if this is available in SA. Have read that Theoben has one avaialble overseas as a drop in kit.
    Has anyone ever heard/seen/used the gas rams? Seems like there are some advantages over the normal spring.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

I would not bother...more trouble than they are worth.
    You also need to get a pump to charge it.
    Often they leak too....

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Have you had some experience with these things? I like the idea that I can adjust the performance to be closer and more constant to 1000fps than with a normal spring, but am worried about the problems that you talk about. How much do they go for, and are they readily available?

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

I don't know about the availability of the Theoben gas strut in SA but I have had one in a Webley rifle a while back. It gave a nice smooth and quiet firing stroke.

They are a little fiddly to install and are preset to a given power. They do not appear to be user adjustable that I could see, unlike the dedicated gas ram rifles such as the Theobens and HW90. In terms of leakage I don't recall ever having any problems with the gas ram rifles that I have owned.

In respect of 1000fps, realistically there are not many spring rifles that will comfortably and consistently achieve velocities of this level.

Dale

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

In the beginning of my airrifle adventure I also wanted to get a gasram for my BSA meteor. The dam would have costed more than the rifle. NOT worth it.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

try shooting an HW90, it should give u an idea as to how a FAC gasram shoots, try cocking it 30 times consecutively... . iirc, the gamo gas ram is for the hunter 440 @ <12 ftlbs. not what u are looking for???

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

have a look here.......

[link=hyperlink url]http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71668
    [/link]