Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: PCP vs .22 @ 50m ito accuracy?

Protea FT Team '10/'13

User Info Menu

Default PCP vs .22 @ 50m ito accuracy?

Ettienne1 raised a very interesting point with reference to the comparison bewteen his PCP and his .22 LR.

I do not have a .22 LR to test this.

Anyone else done this tests?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Probably will depend on the rifle, but my money is on the .22 rimfire. Heavier bullet, higher velocity, effected less by wind etc. I only have a .22 magnum and it consistantly outshoots my PCP between 50 and 75 metres

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

.22 would def win, like Dave said, heavier projectile, faster, less trajectory, not affected by wind so much........

Protea Benchrest (Air) Team '08/'10/'11/'13/'15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mariuss View Post
    Ettienne1 raised a very interesting point with reference to the comparison bewteen his PCP and his .22 LR.

I do not have a .22 LR to test this.

Anyone else done this tests?
    At the Benchrest World rimfire and Air rifle championships in Italy this year the top .22LR shot at 50m close to full scores to a bull of 8mm.
    Winner LV 50m Pieter Armstrong AUS 746 out of 750 4 drop shots out of 75 shots
    Winner HV 50m Danny Helper USA 748 out of 750 2 drop shots out of 75 shots
    PCP 2mm ring at 25m
    Winner Hunter 25m Jonathan Pizer RSA 490 out of 500 10 drop shots out of 50
    Winner Unlimited 25m Ivano Vernarelli IT 727 out of 750 23 drop shots out of 750

In the 25m Rimfire shooting the same targets as the PCP
    4 shooter in the LV and HV shot full scores.
    The PCP could be more accurate that a .22 rimfire at 25m indoors.
    The biggest fatcor is the conditions when shooting 12ft/lb with the pcp.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quoted from - http://www.chuckhawks.com/22_rimfire_cartridges.htm "The standard velocity .22 short launches a 29 grain bullet at 1,045 fps with 70 ft. lbs. of energy from a 22" rifle barrel"

EJ pellets weigh 23.7gr and can achieve a velocity of close to 1100 fps in a modified AirForce Condor. Thats 65fpe....

The pictures attached shows a 3mm steel plate shot at 40fpe at 30m. The pellet used was a piledriver at 21gr in .177 calibre. Rifle a standard Condor out of the box.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I dont think were talking 12fpe here or am I wrong? Its more difficult to shoot a 12fpe pcp outdoors than a HP pcp. Heavier bullet = less wind factor

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Jis Ian maar jy straf darem daai spinners!!

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Ian,

so what you are saying is that I need to get myself a condor? Bliksem. 60flbs without mods in .177. What will she do with a .2 barrel on there?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JTK View Post
    Ian,

so what you are saying is that I need to get myself a condor? Bliksem. 60flbs without mods in .177. What will she do with a .2 barrel on there?
    No JTK, thats with the Mods in .20 cal... read the posts below carefully...

I have shot many times with HP PCP's side by side .22 rimfires and the rimmie is consistently more accurate at long range (beyond 50m). The problem with shooting PCP's with extreme power such as the Condor mentioned below, is that they simply cannot sustain the same level of consistency as the rimmie and the fact diablo pellets were never designed to shoot accurately beyond this distance.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Its a fact. A PCP rifle is more accurate than a .22LR. The question is rather: At which distance will the .22LR "overtake" the pcp? Maybe at about 60 meters? Of course wind will play a big effect but not when shooting on a calm day.

http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/Revi...20Convert.html.
    This is a review of a .22 FX Tarantula PCP and the guy confirms that it is more accurate than both his matchgrade .22LR's at 50yards!!

This Tarantula is basically the same gun as my Anxor, it looks the same anyway and the only difference is that it is n .22 calibre while mine is a .20.

I also want to mention that when I did the accuracy test between my .22LR Brno and my Anxor I used Remmington Subsonics. While it is very accurate in my .22LR the most accurate load in my gun is RWS R50's. In the Anxor I used the most accurate pellet in it. That is a bit unfair to the Brno. I will do a rematch this weekend and feed both guns its favourite ammo.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

thanks Fox. thought when I read "The pictures attached shows a 3mm steel plate shot at 40fpe at 30m. The pellet used was a piledriver at 21gr in .177 calibre. Rifle a standard Condor out of the box" and then the modified did 65 with 23g that the modified was .177 Stillllll 40fpe stock standard is pretty impressive to say the least.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Ettienne, I think we need to make it fair and compare apples to apples. We need to meet up. You bring your .22 with short bullets and I'll have my .20 Condor with 23gr EJ. That would be very interresting to compare the groupings from 30m to lets say to 80m. Both rifles should produce round about 60-70 fpe.

PCP vs .22

Fox you are also welcome to join the party with your FMG

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

.22 shorts is the least accurate load in my gun. It seems the 23gr EJ are possibly the most acurate in your setup. Allready that is not fair. For the tests to be honest the same shooter must shoot both guns. I'm in the process of buying a bechrest system to do proper benchrest shooting. Just give me some time. Still the purpose of this thread was to determine whether a pcp can beat a .22LR. Now its becoming a contest.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

I am sure if you were to stay sub sonic then the PCP stands a chance. If you were however going above the sound barrier then the rimfire will walk it. I for one am interested in the reslts myself. That said. The PCP is only a .2 and the rifle a .22. If you were to put a .22 barrel on the PCP the energy and retained accuracy should go up as well?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Im only getting my .20 barrel in mid December. So far the piledrivers in .177 are very accurate. I hope my new barrel likes to spit out the 5mm EJ.

Still the purpose of this thread was to determine whether a pcp can beat a .22LR. Now its becoming a contest.

All Im trying to say is compare apples to apples. Like JTK said if you are going through the sound barrier the .22 will win hands down. Agreed