Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nikko Stirling Gold Crown

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Nikko Stirling Gold Crown

I have a Gold Crown 3-7x32 on my springer and got around to setting it up properly. (or so I thought).

Set the mounts and tube properly as to give comfortable eye relief, then adjusted the eye bell for my eye. It's almost the whole way back, couple of turns and it'll come off.
    I screwed it back on about 5mm, it's acceptable, although not perfect - the recticule is still slightly fuzzy.

Now I have a problem though - the scope focuses from about 2m up to 54m , more or less.

Is there any other way around this? I think I need a major adjustment somewhere as I'm sure the eye bell isn't supposed to that far back.

Don't think my eyes are that bad though. My Hawke Airmax only needed about one turn from factory setting.

any clues?

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Has yur springer not destroyed your scope ?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Don't think it's actually damaged. If I turn the eye bell to more or less where the factory setting is, then it focuses from 10m to .... well far.
    Wondering if I could do a parallax mod to get it right. Not sure if these scopes are nitrogen purged. Perhaps I could nip round to Affrox afterwards and get it purged. ?.

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

I had the same effect with a Nikko .For me I could not get it better than +/- 20m .Took it back and got an Airmax.I was impressed with the Nikko clarity while I had it for a day.
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Tue Jun 21 2005, 08:40PM ]</span>

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Agreed there Allan, my NS optics are far brighter and clearer than the Hawkes.

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

For the first time this weekend I saw the pellet on its way through the scope. Shooting at the black of the 50m plate I saw the pellet clear as day .So even the Airmax is capable of this .Knocked my sox off.Against something lighter I did not manage to see anything.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Cool innit?

when the sun is just right, you can actually see the fragmentation of the pellet. really cool.

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Gavin at TS told me there are some tricks that can be done to a Leupold scope .The price was the shocker more than a New Nikko.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Allan,
    what mods to the Leupold r u talking about ?

New modified Premier Reticles Leupold (from USA) is a little cheaper than a std Leupold

Out da box u can buy the Leupold 6.5-20 EFR which is made for airguns and can focus down to 10m - about R 5500

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Cheaper than I would have pegged a Leupold, who stocks them in JHB?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Not too sure who stocks them, have a look in Magnum, contact Digital Warehouse in CT

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Neilg , they push the mag up to x50 mag.

Avion just checked .You can send the scope to be recalibrated to 10m parallax .You can try yourself as well.I was told you screw off the front cover on the scope and turn the lens till it focuses 10m at mxa mag. The problem is you may then not have a good long range .You should not need to re purge the scope as the lens does not come out .Good luck .I dont think I have the guts to try this sort of mod.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Well it's no good as it is. Perhaps I'll give it a go this weekend. I suppose anti-clockwise would be a good guess, seeing as the eye bell is so far out. Hmmm...
    Will let you know if I succeed or fail.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Allan and Avion,
    Leupold does not get bumped up to 50x in SA, Gavin is mistaken, I think he was referring to the Premier Reticles conversion, maybe Hennie's bringing a few in ????
    Leupolds is not simply a case of turning the lens, with Leupolds there is an internal modification that has to be done.
    Lynx and Nikko 10-50 is a case of turning the lens YES. And so is most other "cheap" scopes.

Avion, u "skroef" your reparallax up and let the gas escape u can throw that scope away, no warranty 4 that.

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Neilg .Like I said ,I wont try it.