Thread: Diana Panther Model-31

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Diana Panther Model-31

Being a Diana fan (it all started when I was a kid with a Gecado 35) and owning a Diana 350, I thought I "needed" a new gun that was lighter as less powerfull than the 350, and after much thought I settled on a Diana 31 Panther. I thought at the price, which is a little more than an equivalent Gamo one could get a Diana, which has to be so much better, right? Well almost. Let me state right now that this is a great gun because some people don't read all the way to the bottom. Previously Farmer (whose opinions I always value) stated that it was a dissappointing rifle. After getting the rifle I had to agree after about the first week. Okay it is new and had to break in, but I wasn't expecting such bad grouping out of any Diana rifle. Groupings looked like something out of an un-choked shotgun. Then I started to look the rifle over. First thing was that it had a lot of barrel droop, so the scope had to be shimmed. Then I noticed the stock screws were loose. After tightening them things improved a little, but only just. Then I started playing around with different pellets, again some improvement. The rifle definitely favoured German made pellets. Then the big breakthrough. I noticed that the pivot bolt was too tight and released it a little so that the barrel would just stay horizontal if it was left in that postion. All of a sudden I started getting 10mm groupings at 20m, with the odd flyer. I worked on my hold as well and realized that the weight distribution is a bit further forward than on most break-barrels. To make a long story short; don't give up too soon. Now that it's sorted I can get 10mm five shot groupings at 20m with ease, and this was what I expected from a Diana.

To sum up: Sit in a chair and shoot at least 500 pellets through the gun before attempting or expecting to get good groupings. Mine is at 1500 rounds now. Check the pivot bolt and the stock screws. Find out where the rifle balances in the palm of your hand and always use that point. Try different pellets. Mine is excellent with H&N Crow Mags and JSB Predators. Just to check that it's now living up to my standards, today I hit lemonade cans (the small ones) 5 out of 5 times at 50m using the third mildot down on the bottom crosshair of the scope.

So far it has only claimed 3 victims (Mynah's are now getting scarce on my property), but I am finally happy with the rifle. Question is, would I trade it for any other break-barrel? Not any more!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Anyone else out there with a Panther 31?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Ok, so no one else on this forum has a Diana Panther 31 then?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Van ons is te arm, ons skiet maar met Gamo's.........

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Ja. Ek ken die gevoel. Ek het ook 'n paar Gamo's. Maar met die wisselkoers is die Diana is omtrent 'n Gamo se prys.