Thread: Info on .20 springers

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Info on .20 springers

I've been really good at work so it seems I might be in the market for a .20 springer airgun, so would like some more info:

Excluding Theoben, seems there's only the HW90 and HW97K readily available/affordable in .20 in SA. Anything else? any 77's? What .20 spring ammo you guys using and at what realistic power levels ( without rattling the scope or tooth fillings too badly) are you getting the best results from which specific ammo (Like JSB for higher powerlevel and FTT for sub-18fpe).

'Much appreciated

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Blankster, looks like you're spot-on with your assessment on the current status of .20 spring guns in SA. I'm also looking hard at a .20 and I'm thinking HW97 or the Theoben Evo or both if my budget can stretch that far. Looks like ammo is not a big problem. I checked out most manufacturers and apart from the two you've mentioned it looks like as far as springers go and you're not living in Europe or the USA you'll have to make a pick between a Weihrauch or a Theoben. The .20 does seem to be gaining popularity very fast over here though?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

For my two 0.2s I use
    HNN FTT for the Weihrauch HW97K
    JSB Heavy for the AA S410 FAC (kevin mod)

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lilliput View Post
    For my two 0.2s I use
    HNN FTT for the Weihrauch HW97K
    JSB Heavy for the AA S410 FAC (kevin mod)
    What is the fps for HNN FTT's through the .20 HW97K?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

A common bit of Knowledge here in the UK guys is this calibre is Ben Taylors favourite! (for those who don't know ... he is the ben out of Theo-ben,of Theoben Air Rifles)
    What types of .20cal Pelletts are available in SA guys? JSB would definately be top of my list as far as HW air rifles are concerened.
    The availablility on .20cal types of Pellets are limited in supply in most UK shops so am just wondering what they are like in SA, as this has been the main reason why I have not bought a .20cal out with me yet.
    ATB

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

What choice do you need? The range is big enough, each ammo type has it's preferred energy requirements and does well in their respective categories and that's pretty much it. It's better that there's less crap(you know what I mean) to choose from. Why does one need a huge selection when there's essentially only a handful of barrel .20 manufacturers, of which most are LW.

Here's a basic breakdown of what's shines where:
    16-20 fpe H&N FTT
    20-27 fpe JSB Exact
    27-36 fpe CP and Penetrators
    36-50 fpe Eunjin
    +50 fpe FMG's
    Last edited by blankster; 02-12-08 at 19:34.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

What type of performance can one expect from a .20 HW97K?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Cause I have known many a .20 shooter here in the UK, who has never been quite satisfied with the constant availability or variety for a .20 Cal. I sold them for a living once.
    I like to run as many varients of Pellets through a Barrel before I conclude its potential, and settle on a brand that performs all round.

I had a .20 Cal 97k, Lazerglided by Steve Pope. At just on 18Flbs I was pleased with it.
    If the main types of Pellets are as readily available as you say, then I may just look at getting a new one to bring out next year.
    ATB

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

If you are prepared to wait for an order, a .20 HW77 is available. Perhaps you could contact the importer?
    http://www.weihrauch-sport.de/englis...te/e_index.htm
    ATB

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info.