Thread: For Allan !

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default For Allan !

Sunday we went to have a practice plink at Nelson ahead of round 4 of the Southern Wales FT winter series.

I was trying a borrowed scope , a no name brand 10 to 40 mag by 50mm with a 30mm tube . It was ok , the big side wheel focus actually lined up as near as to damit with the ranges. It may be a Ramsbottom FT scope , it also has an illuminated reticle.

Any way , I'll give it a go next week , as it is going to be easier to range , rather than with a fixed 10 x 42 EB optimate sniper scope. Managed to find a buyer for the EB sniper last week for 190.

Quarry is a tough range with an abundance of wind pixies !!!!

The EB is the best scope for HFT , by far , over here, the way the targets are placed etc , but no good for range finding out to 55 yards at FT.
    Mind you , it sharpens your range estimation , as you have to thumb suck and then bracket the target , hoping you've got it right . Always a sense of pleasure when you see the pellet loop in just inside the kill out there, makes you cry when it strikes just out though !!!

It looks like I'll have a Tasco Custom Shop scope to use after next week , the optics being VERY much clearer than that of the no-namer . ( Tasco second hand 200 )

All in all I used about 260 pellets , trying the various sizes in the conditions.

In the shade ?? 1 oC but no idea what it was with the wind chill factor .

But , bear in mind all of us had at minmum 3 layers , me (?) 5 layers to keep warm. The only thing I must get now is new gum boots , the old industrial ones are no good , need to invest in some farmers boots ........ 45 . That'll keep my tootsies a bit warmer.

I was also wearing a norwegian military head warmer under my beanie , knitted finger less gloves under my water proof shooting/hunting gloves.

The puddles at Nelson were all frozen , we had a pot fire going all day to melt the water to make tea, of which most of us drank at least 1 litre, me about double that.

Only problem for me was undressing and then trying to find percy so you could piddle !!! about 10 times ????

Other wise the shooting scene here in this corner of UK is going well .

I suppose I should just sit back and enjoy the shooting instead of trying to rise above C class into the B .
    It'll just get harder up there, here in C I'm shooting with all the fun shooters , just enjoying it for the sake of it .

Suppose we'll just have to see how every thing pans out .

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Sorry bud , just come across your post now.

Dont those conditions make you miss SA

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Yes and no , missing SA.

The conditions are kak but the equipment & the clubs etc makes up for it.

Within 60km of my home, I have about 7 clubs to go and shoot at.

Lots of variety and different conditions , indoor ranges etc.

I have just been given a Tasco Custom Shop scope with precision machined mounts and Sun shade, side wheel etc for 200. yes , thats an awful lot of Rands , but not bad for GBP.

We have a lot of kit available to keep warm too , so , ja , I miss sitting in shorts and flip flops when plinking , but its ok.

Since moving here I've learnt more about shooting , than over 40 years in SA.

I still say shooting a non FAC air rifle is harder than any full bore shooting I've ever done .

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    I still say shooting a non FAC air rifle is harder than any full bore shooting I've ever done .
    Dont tell the Yanks that

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

so the c-class is like the 'kaas en wyn' span...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Ja , the fish and chips squad. All the okes who just have fun shooting play in the C class.

Yesterday was hard work !

Lovely sunny day , at the top end of Quarry , but in the bottom side - - - - ICE !

The temp when we got there at 9:30 was MINUS 3.5 o C. It got up to + 2 oC byt 1pm but by the time we were doing the shoot off at 3pm , it was below zero again.

There was so much ice on the roads , it was kinda scarey going to shoot.

Even today , the frost has'nt melted yet, almost looks like snow every where is white.

I had a fair shoot , my first time dialing , and I fluffed 4 targets, took the dial the wrong way , and was a turn out !!!!!!

3 of us ended on 24 . Luckily I managed to win the shoot out, and got 2nd place on the day. Top C class was a fine 31 . I managed to pocket 10 for my trouble.