Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Friction Eliminator

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Friction Eliminator

Messing around on the internet I came across 2 interesting products by a company called Lubro-Teknik. One is a pellet lube LT1, perhaps someone has tried it out on the forum - comments? I see that Theoben recommend it for their rifles (but they don't say whether it is for pcp's or springer's). Some reviews I have read reckon it is pretty good.
    The second product is a LT11 Friction Eliminator which apparently fills & smooths microscopic pores in your barrel. What do you think? Will this be good or bad? Don't we want some friction in our barrels so that the skirt of the pellet is blown against the barrels sides? What if the pellet is a tight fit already? Will the pellet exit the barrel before the air pressure has reached it optimum? Any ideas?
    Check out : http://www.lubroteknik.com/gun_oils_lubricants/lt11.asp

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Ambuscher,
    You asked: "What if the pellet is a tight fit already? Will the pellet exit the barrel before the air pressure has reached it optimum? Any ideas?"

My understanding of the above is that otherwise than with a powder burner, where the powder burns HWILE the bullet travels down the barrel in a air rifle it is a once off "puff" of air that hits the pellet at once and finish. I was broughtto understand that the air expands as it travels doen the barrel and has no effect on the pellet untill it exits at the crown of the barrel. I stand corrected.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks for the comments, several months ago I read somewhere that if the pellet slides through the barrel too easily it will 1) not engage the rifling correctly, and 2) will not make optimal use of the air pushing it from behind. This was also an argument against lubing pellets.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Also try Pledge furniture wax spray for pellets used in springers...some top American FT shooters use it.

Otherwise Shooters Choice FP10 from City Guns....most widely used pellet lubricant in the USA ...have been using it for over 15 years,,,still have my first bottle bought from Nick Jenkinson!

That friction eliminator is for centrefire rifles...dont see the point in an airgun...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I would rather lube the trigger assembly and the internals before using funny sprays on the pellets / barrel..

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I hear you, but if the LT11 is designed for centrefire rifles where a few fps gain has a minimal effect on the greater scheme of things, don't you think it could have a profound effect in a pcp where any gain in fps is often quite remarkable? I'd think a super slick, polished & lubed barrel on a pcp should have quite a few advantages to a machined, standard barrel.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

the reason for lubing pellets is to eliminate leading...not to gain velocity.

no velocity is gained from any of the lubing methods I have ever tried..

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

what about using diesel to lubricate pellest for use in a springer? I heard it will boost velocity

caution!!!! don't try this at home
    Last edited by Arnold; 04-12-08 at 14:04.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

-Not a good ideas. I believe the compression you create within the barrel when you fire a shot causes the diesel to expode, thus improving your velocity but your accuracy goes to hell and you can damage your rifle over time. Maybe the fundis can comment

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

You are correct dave_S, I was just trying to invoke some reaction .... I am sure it will still come

That is why I put the caution note with the post.
    Last edited by Arnold; 04-12-08 at 14:29.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I don't think enough scientific studies and lab analysis has been done on air rifles - looks like all the big bucks get spent on improving centrefire rifles & bullets while pellets & airguns are left behind.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ambuscher View Post
    I don't think enough scientific studies and lab analysis has been done on air rifles - looks like all the big bucks get spent on improving centrefire rifles & bullets while pellets & airguns are left behind.
    Air rifles are forging ahead in leaps and bounds, its the pellets that are not keeping up.

Protea Benchrest (Air) Team '08/'10/'11/'13/'15

User Info Menu

lubing the pellets that I do is for cleaning the barrel of my PCP and I use Balistol
    Last edited by NJHS; 04-12-08 at 18:22. Reason: .

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

There is no better pellet than the Diabolo shape. It is the ONLY shape that works. All pellets are a variance of it.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I agree, but there are so many variations on the Diabolo shape. I would love to see a study of the various pellet shapes and how pellet length, skirt thickness, waist size, general shape, etc. affects the pellets travel & accuracy. This should not be too difficult to do - upscale the pellets a few hundred times and place them in a wind tunnel with a smoke trail so you can simulate various fps speeds. Or an easier method would be to use a computer program to test the aerodynamics of various designs at various velocities, twist rates, etc.
    I guess if we did all that pellet prices would increase by 20% to cover the R&D costs.