Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recharging a PCP

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Recharging a PCP

I'd like to get some info on refilling PCP's. Does anybody use a hand pump or is the divetank method the best way. I like pumping as much as the next guy, but how much physical effort is involved. Does the initial setup cost less with and handpump, and how many charges do you get out of a divetank, and how much does it cost to have the divetank refilled. I know these questions are generalisations, but I just need ballpark figures.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

The pump is a lot of effort (i had one to try it out )and will cost the same as a good tank setup. The tank makes it much easier to refill the rifle and cost about R35 for a tank refill. Depending on the size of your tank and the pressure to which you fill your rifle the number of fills will vary. {I am sure someone will supply you with a figure)

The R35 to fill a tank is not much when you consider the effort a handpump takes

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Apparently the pumps are quite expensive and you need to be a masochist to use one. Go with the bottle if you can find a dive shop to fill it for you. My local guys fill for R20, free on Saturday if they aren't busy. Number of fills depends on how much you drain your rifle.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Ok. So far Handpump 0, Divetank 2.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

While we're sort of on this subject. And I know the question has been asked over and over on this forum, but just to double check.

One's first PCP rifle = AA S400, right?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

right on that one, wont go wrong with a S400

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

you are correct Van

Also vouch for the tank setup rather. I think you can get a tank and filling equip for maybe half the price of a pump if you shop around. Pumps are great for hunting trips where you dont want to carry the tank. That said. With an ERB or some of the other rigs you dont need to fill if you only shoot at quary. Even with my 400 carbine I can get a decent 50 shots on a fill in the sweet spot

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

And I've heard a handpump might put some moisture in your gun. I also dont mind pumping... but the moisture part is the reason I went with a diving cylinder. The only negative thing for me about a diving cylinder is that after a few fills you cant pump up your gun to max 200 bar as you could have with the first few fills. You always end up with only a partially filled PCP. If you want a max fill everytime either get a pump or a 300 Bar cylinder and fill carefully!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

If you are handy with tools and seal kits are readily available then get a hand Pump.
    After the money a PCP costs, there is no way I would fill it with a hand pump.
    Think about it in a logical way ..... the compressor used to fill a Dive Bottle , with clean pure air costs the Dive Shop how many thousands? And a hand pump, that really and truely does not filter air properly ..... costs how much?
    I have spoken to several reputable airgunners here in the UK, and when I had my FAC Theoben built I was advised that it was not really an ideal option, perhaps in emergencies only.
    With the Climate where you guys are, I would only be happy with a dive set up, especially if it costs about the same. Just for the piece of mind.
    Please note, this is just my opionion made up from experience here with people I have interacted with that built hi -spec PCP air rifles.
    ATB

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

to add.. if you get a s400 you should not go over 170bar if you want to stay in the sweet spot. so even on a 232 bar cylinder you will get many fills.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I agree the dive cylinder is the best option. Just ask the dive shop to fill your cylinder to 210 Bar as most of them only fill it to about 195 to 200 Bar and those few extra bar's go a long way.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

ooo.. and dont get a 200bar cylinder. it will be a pain in tha ass. 232 or 300. I have two 300's and pump them to 240. Have only filled one of them once. Granted I dont shoot much but the air lasts a long time.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I have a 300Bar 6 or 7 liter and that lasts me a long time and it is nice and small compared to the 12liters

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Eat beans... buy a special adaptor from the dive shop (I think they call it an extended bottomtime thurmogromit) and you can do your own filling. There is a tradeoff I'm afraid...Your shooting stinks a bit afterwards.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Blud, my shooting stinks anyway!