Thread: Today's Shoot & New Hard case

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Today's Shoot & New Hard case

A while ago I asked on here, people's advice for a suitable carry/storage case for travelling with a rifle, I took the plunge on a Hardigg Storm.
    However, when it arrived I found I'd made a slight but potentially expensive mistake when measuring my Pro Target & she just barely fitted into my new case that had cost me 235 quid!!!!
    Disaster was averted when my Clubmate said he had a spare, shorter Barrel Shroud, reducing the length of my rifle by 9cm or so, phew!
    Here are a couple of piccies to illustrate;

Storm iM3220

Of course, this meant a visit to Far Coley farm for their Sunday Shoot to get the Shrouds swapped over & check for zero shift. While there I took a couple of piccies to prove it doesn't always rain in Britain;

Far Coley

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Did the zero shift by changing the shroud?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by swordfish View Post
    Did the zero shift by changing the shroud?
    My mate John, also an owner of PT's, in his case two. Swore that the removal of the shroud required also removing the scope rail but that wouldn't effect zero. I found a shift to the right however & substantial drop.
    This could have been due to a slight left to right breeze & the fact it was only a degree or two above freezing.
    The adjustment was quickly done though & it shot as sweet as a nut from then on. If I'd checked zero before the swap I could have told you with certainty one way or the other but as it is, I'm not sure.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Baltipal,
    It should not make any difference to your POI if and when you remove the scope or if the scope is moved back or forward. If you take off the rail with the scope on it and replace it at the exact mark where you took if off from and tighten the screws to the same amount of tourque, it should give you the psychological assurance you need, if you believe that the POI WILL change with this exercise.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Gerrie,

I think what he was saying, and correct me here if wrong, was that they had to remove the rail.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

JTK,
    Yes hopefully. I have seen the scope being removed first, then the rail, due to not having the experience of dismantling the PT. Not many rifles have a rail like the PT so upon replacing the scope, it can easily be left off and the scope is then completely out. I know I was there!!! I almost lost a rail that way once. LOL

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Agreed, that was John's point. Leave the scope & rail attached, slide them free of the rifle & nothing should change.
    But when you then find a 12 click difference on your 35 yard setting with a noticable drift to the right.........
    I regularly have the action out of the stock to dry it out after a drenching & have seen little change in the set up but once or twice I've had to fiddle with the windage. It's always worth checking anyway.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Baltipal,
    I find that if you can torque the bolts when assembling the rifle again, as near as dammit, it changes the POI very little, if any.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Gerrie,

Under normal circumstances there would not be a zero shift by removing the scope rail from a Pro-T with the scope still attached to it.

However the rifle underwent a significant change by having the shroud replaced - that is almost certainly what caused the variation that Greg observed.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi Dale,
    That is what I also thought. I had my scope off a few times since receiving the rail back and it never changed POI by as much as 1 click, AFAIC.

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Nice cases arnt they

Protea FT Team '09/'10

User Info Menu

I needed to replace my breech seal in my MPR. After some advice, i finally removed the barrel, but first had to remove scope - this was done by removing rings from the rail. After re-fitting everything and checking the zero, it was out by a fraction ito windage and very slightly by elevation, nothing that removing the turret and repositioning didn't fix.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Curt,
    That's it. I will bet on it that it is because of the fact that you can't always torgue all the bolts exactly the same without the right tools.