Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new lens for scope

Protea FT Team '12/'16/'17

User Info Menu

Default new lens for scope

hi all, after the rain this weekend and my scope getting water on the lense. i was thinking about putting an additional lense in the front of the sun shade to help stop the water on the main lense. i have a price for a circular polarized lense fitted from an optomatrist and the price is realy reasonable. i asume that he knows what he is doing to not distort the image in any way.

the only down side is this lense is now on the outside and will be prown to scratches and this will then defeat the object.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I've been taking photographs for 20 odd years and I don't recommend this - I don't think it would work too well. Firstly, if you have a filter right on the edge of your scope, it will pick up alot of flare and ghosting as the sunlight hits it - you ideally want the filter in complete shade by using a lens hood or Sun shade. Also, a polariser needs to be perpendicular to the suns rays to work optimally otherwise it will just make the image a dark grey. Also, during overcast days it doesn't work at all and will make the image very dark indeed.
    If anything, you should try a pale amber or yellowish filter which will work great in lowlight conditions and normal shooting conditions - basically instead of wearing shooting glasses you are putting one shooting lens in front of the scope. Try a 1A Salmon filter or a 81A warming filter - they should work well.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

screw on an ND filter on the objective and screw the Sun shade on top of that...easily available at most camera shops...

Protea FT Team '12/'16/'17

User Info Menu

ND?????

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Neutral Density, you get different grades so get the lightest (less dense) one.
    I still think the amber / yellow will improve the image brightness and protect the lens.
    The best is to take the scope with you to the camera store.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

mmm you guys are the balls.. gonna go buy myself a polorising filter (the turn type) schweeeet.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

no JTK...polarizing filter on a scope will have no use whatsoever...will just make the sky look pretty but will darken your image considerably...

get a yellow tinted or skylight filer...

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

wont it help to reduce glare further Guido?

Rest in Peace Friend 12/2017

User Info Menu

N/D filter is the way to go - must be the light one as Ambuscher says.
    Polarizer will not work.
    I have a Canon XL1 video camera with a built in N/D lens (you can switch it on /off)
    Very effective in bright sunny conditions.
    Why not try a N/D plus a amber or yellow - They can be mounted on top of each other.
    Most pro camera guys use a U/V filter on the front of every lens they own - to protect the lens from scratches. Scratching or breaking a U/V filter is a lot cheaper than a 10 grand lens.
    I had never even thought about fitting filters to my scopes till it was brought up on the forum - THANKS - this is how we all learn.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

a polarizer takes 1 to 2 f\ stops of light away from the picture...sure it will eliminate some glare once you spin it to the correct position...but I do not see it as being of any use on an airgun

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

and before we all get too excited about putting camera filters on our scopes let us see if the threads they come in are anywhere near compatible to the threads on the ends of our scopes!

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

good question.

User Info Menu

good point - the threads could be different.

Maybe just buy a waterproof scope?

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

scopes are waterproof, or rather 99% of them. think he wants to keep the water off the scope lense?

User Info Menu

Sorry
    I re-read the initial post - He wants to keep water off the front lens.