Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gamo Hunter 440

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Gamo Hunter 440

I sold my 440 yesterday morning and as fate would have it I picked up another one in a pawn shop here in town yesterday afternoon for R600-00. The guy in the shop actually told me it was a Gecado! It's not in great shape as you can imagine, and looks like it's seen some abuse but with a bit of work on the stock and the internals it will be ok. The metal on the outside is fine except for some light rust on the barrel. It came without the sights and raised scope rail. It actually shoots ok as is, after I fitted an old Gamo scope.

Now here's the question. This is a nice little restoration/modification project for me. I noticed there are many guys on the site that has "customized" 440's. I need some advice here. Apart from a GRT III trigger, what other mods do you guys recommend, mechanically and aesthetically? I'd like to add a silencer, only because I want to take the plastic tip off the barrel. I'd also like to shorten the barrel a bit to make it a carbine. Regarding the trigger, I've met some guys at the instrument makers shop at the university and they reckon if I bring them a trigger blade they can make it. It would be nice if they can, and if they can make it for less than a GRT III it would be even better. I'm also going to let them take a shot at making a nice trigger guard for the rifle. Any suggestions?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Any help/suggestions, please, it will be appreciated.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi Ou Van. I had the same rifle as my first airrifle. I only had it more a couple of weeks when the stock snapped on one side at the front where you the screw holds the stock and rifle together. Wasn't very happy... The shop wouldn't replace it either even though you could clearly see that the left hand side (Where it snapped) was thinner than the right hand side.

Anyhoo... I left it for quite a while because a new stock was too expensive. Then a friend of my dads who is an amatuer gunsmith offered to fix it. He just epoxied to back together. It seemed to work ok and was proberly stronger now than it was before. But you could still see where the stock was rejoined so it looked quite crap.

I'd seen a picture on the net where some guy took his BSA supersport and had spraypainted it with black and white dots which looked pretty kewl to me so thats what i decided to do to mine. I stripped it with some varnish remover and sandpaper. Then put primer on it and did the paint job with normal spray paint you can get from builders warehouse. It turned out quite well in my opinion.

Then i ordered a turantula spring and new piston and breech seal from Maccari and installed those with the proper lubricants, which made a massive difference.

I had lost the front site off the rifle when the stock snapped so decided to make a DIY silencer. I had a piece of thin pvc pipe which fitted almost exactly over the barrel which i used. I had a spring that just happened to fit inside and wrapped that with some sound deadening foam and placed two washers inside. Then i painted it with the same camo design as the rest of the rifle. I also added an adjustable butpad that i had bought for the weihrauch but was too big for it.

All in all quite a lot of work went in to it and it has very low recoil and is very quite compared to the original. Not the prettiest gun you'll every see but i would rather bugger up the Gamo than the Weihrauch costing 5 times as much. If i can get my digital camera to work i'll post some pics.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hey thanks Dave. I'd love some pics. I know it's not the greatest gun, but my previous one dispathed more mynah's than all my other guns combined. I really want to make a masterpiece out of this one. I think I'll let the guys at the university machine shop turn a silencer for me on a lathe. Those guys are amazing, they can make anything in that shop. I think I'll try building my own stock from a nice piece of wood (have done it before) as I have some woodworking skills and machinery.

Where can I get the Maccari spares. I'd like to slow it down to about 750 ft/s to enhance accuracy. My biggest irritation with the gun is the "twang". Also if anybody out there has shortened a barrel before, I'd like some advice. I know the barrel crown has to be worked otherwise accuracy goes down the drain. It sounds like it's not as simple as taking to it with an angle grinder!

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Order Maccari directly: http://www.airguns.citymax.com/page/page/251327.htm

If the barrel is chocked you need to take out a piece from the rear and not the front, if you want to shorten it.
    Last edited by swordfish; 11-12-08 at 11:58.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

This is the website for Maccari "http://www.airguns.citymax.com/page/page/251327.htm"

Some of the guys here use shrink wrap on the rear spring guide which reduces the twang although if you're getting the university to make a new trigger i'm sure hey could turn you a new spring guide aswell.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Van,

get the guys to turn you a two piece tophat from brass that fits snugly into the piston. Use the heatshrink on the guide. it works like a charm. And get the Maccari seals and terantula. Make sure the tophat fits the new spring
    Last edited by JTK; 11-12-08 at 12:08.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

So far so good. Thanks a mill guys. If the guys at the university gets the trigger blade right, I'm going to have them make a few more.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Jip, if you get the trigger blade right. you will have loads of buyers I am sure.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Had same problem as Dangerous Dave, my stock split at front screw hole, have repaired it, just finishing it off these hoidays then will post a pic, spraypainted with paint that is rough, almost like sand in it, gives it a cool feel and good grip.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

The stock on my bargain gun is in pretty good shape given the age and abuse it has suffered, but I'm toying with the idea of building a new "hunting style" stock with a more classic shape and some decent chequering etc. so the stock is the last of my worries. As you can see from the pic, it is the older lighter style beechwod stock and seems to be a well made example.I think I could even alter it a bit to look nicer.

BTW got my S400 from Lloyd today...........WOW! My first PCP, now I understand what all the fuss is about.

Thanks for all the help/suggestions guys. Keep em' coming! I'll post pics as I progress with the customization.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by swordfish View Post
    Order Maccari directly: http://www.airguns.citymax.com/page/page/251327.htm

If the barrel is chocked you need to take out a piece from the rear and not the front, if you want to shorten it.
    This sounds like a bit of a mission. The barrel would need to have thread cut into it again at the rear and probably machined at the breach?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Found this cool muzzle brake on the Weihrauch site. Does anyone have, can anyone get, Farmer? Hunter has a 15mm barrel.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Does anybody have any advice on shortening the barrel. Does it screw out, and does it have a locking stud or screw. Has anybody done it before? Help will be appreciated.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Almost 100% sure that barrel aint choked. Pushed a pellet through mine and no additional force required as you move through it.

Suppose its a case of cutting the barrel without damaging the temper and re-crowning.

No experience I'm afraid but I would imagine the re-crowning would be the hard part.