Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helium?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Helium?

Anyone ever heard of charging with helium. Heard a story today that same rifle tested with helium and air shot at 1100fps with the helium as opposed to 800fps with air.

Other than the cost (if it is true) what do you guys think??

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I heard the same thing, have no been witness to it though.
    Any clue on the cost though Vatanen?

Also wonder if it does the hammer and seals any good at all?

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Never heard os a pro pneumatic user advising anythung but diving air.Most manufaturers say that they insist on diving air.If you want that sort of power use a weapon that is made to shoot at that power .I can bet most replies will be "stay away"

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

iirc the Cardew Bros did experiments and came up with the fact that nitrogen was the best 'gas' to use. Next best thing being normal dry air. Cost wise normal air is the best bet though, IMO.

psychoSven's Avatar psychoSven

with helium u could probably aim, let go of the gun and take a shot while it floats in mid air, he he he he
    wouldnt certain gases explode under pressure though, kinda like diesel, i mean playin with 200 bar of pressure shouldnt be ontop of anyones experiments.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I love "playing" with things on rifles and other stuff that goes BOOM, but this is on test I wont consider.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Helium will give you a lot more power but can leak past the seals more easily due to its molecular structure.
    It is completely inert though unlike oxygen.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I have seen Hennie @ T/S shoot a rifle with helium once. Apart from being the fact that the power was much higher I can't remember if the rifle was any loader at all or of any other problems at the time.
    At Brits I spoke to Dale about this and if I remember correctly he also didn't object too prifusely to using helium, but I was a bit Pi.sed so I will not swaer to it njow. I think I was told that helium will not explode under pressure and is non flamable. I'l, stick to normal dive air though as it is enough of a hassle to have my dive bottle filled and for what I use and intend to use my rifle for in future, 800Ft/sec is too much as it is. I saw that again yesterday when I intended to scare a pigeon up to fly but accidently hit and killed it at approximately 90M.Best of all it didn't even complain that I used AccuPells.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Guido is correct. Helium is an inert gas, or noble gas, and therefore should show no adverse affects. However, due to its specific gravity there is a strong chance that it would leak in time and in itself could cause a problem as it ambient temperature being much lower than air could affect the o-rings.

On the other hand nitrogen is less reactive than oxygen, but again temperature could pose a problem. However, the lung is not pure oxygen it would contain nitrogen anyway. The big thing is that the air in the lung is both clean and dry.

To obtain quantities of similar standard helium or nitrogen will not only raise an eyebrow it could be excessively expensive. After all you would be looking, I assume, at medical grades of both these gasses otherwise impurities could affect the cylinder. The helium not so much as pure helium is reasonably easy to obtain, but still expensive.

Personally if you want more power, buy more power. The idea of tampering with gasses in a confined area should rather be left to fools or qualified people with knowledge. Just think of this. Oxygen is flammable to the point of being explosive and hydrogen is to, but in the right quantities they make water which extinguishes fire. Do you want to play with something so mystical?

%-6

BREYT's Avatar BREYT

yes i did test rifles with helium ;200 s 790 fps went up too 1100fps hw100 950 fps-1280fps ev2 775fps 1100 fps till date no problems yet with guns.the hw was very load.very costley R600 PER FILL

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

I have seen the results of filling rifles with gases other than ordinary clean, filtered air. How the owners of those rifles survived is a mystery to me.

Pre-charged rifles are designed to work properly and efficiently with air so why risk damaging expensive equipment just for the sake of power.

High power does not make you a better shooter, it will not put more game in the bag. Finding the most accurate pellet and then learning to put it in the right place at all airgun distances under all conditions is the key to this game not how many ft.lbs the pellet has got. As WolfFlow rightly says if you need real power for some purpose then get a licence and buy a rimfire or centrefire rifle.

Dale

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Oh well, there goes the theory of it's cheap to shoot a PCP :-)

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Well said Dale, I cant't agree more!. As I said before, at 800 Ft/sec I have enough power to hunt, what I like to hunt, to what I consider a decent distance, of 50meters/yards or just beyond. Playing around with all kind of things we don't always understand/know enough about might lead to accidents, which in turn will all be blamed back to air rifles being unlicenced etc. etc.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I know your fancy tire shops have nitrogen on tap. Not sure about the pressure they provide though. Nitrogen is used in tyres due to the fact that it's pressure is less affected by tempreture. Initially this was only used in racing, but the east rand crowd reckon it'll make their cars faster. :P

Wonder if Affrox would fill a scuba tank of it though?
    Safe stuff, being inert - also normal air is 4/5th's nitrogen anyways.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi Avion,
    Helium is an inert gas, but nitrogen is most definitely not. Inert means that the element falls within the eighth period of the periodic table and will not react with other chemicals, such as helium, neon and argon.

Nitrogen falls into the fifth period making it more reactive than carbon [not the most active of gasses] and less reactive than oxygen. Just for interest sake after oxygen there is fluorine, which can not be contained in its purest form as it is so reactive that it corrodes all man made materials. Anyway back to nitrogen, although not very reactive, when mixed with hydrogen in the correct ratio becomes ammonium [NH4]. NH4 is large enough quantities will explode on contact with air, the bog spooks. Then there is N2O good old nitrous oxide. While used as a general propellant, this becomes explosive when pressurized and heated in a cylinder.

With very little stretch of the imagination you can workout the danger you are exposing yourself to when using nitrogen. So helium appears to be a safe, inert or noble gas, but! Firstly helium is very expensive due to its scarcity and secondly do you know where helium ?comes from?? Helium is a resultant gas of radioactive decay, oh yes I want that in my multi thousand rand air rifle I sold my wife for.

I reiterate, fill the weapon?s cylinder with clean air as prescribed. Want more power?buy a baseball bat, they work safely under all circumstances.