Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keyholes??

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Keyholes??

What causes pellets to make a keyhole shaped hole through the target....I assume it's because they start to tumble in flight - for what reason???
    I'm sure accuracy goes out the window when this occurs.

Anyone have any ideas?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Either the pellets are tumbling or you are not shooting exactly at 90 degrees to the target. What pellets are those and at what distance?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Or you're too cheap too stick the bottom of the target down, so that wind keeps blowing it up, causing "keyholes" .

Usually projectiles tumble when the twist isn't enough (or too much sometimes) for a specific projectile design/length/weight at a specific velocity. Barrels and pellets are made to provide optimum performance at a specific twist/velocity/distance. Which is why you try different ammo to see what works best for your specific needs, then buy bulk

Keyholing can also be caused by bad/damaged barrel crown or buy cheap poor quality ammo ( visible seams, solid skirts, squashed/dented skirts, uneven skirt rims, etc). Novelty ammo like the light plastic/steel things or heavy/long piledrivers will also keyhole if not used within their respective performance parameters

What pellets are you using in what airgun, and at what distance are you experiencing keyholing? Are you experiencing it with every shot or once in a while?

ps: And yes, unstabilised, keyholing ammo will be shooting all over the place.
    Last edited by blankster; 18-12-08 at 14:14.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Another possible cause for key holing is the pellet catching the edge of the silencer, this can be caused on break barrels when the gun is cocked holding the silencer instead of the barrel, especially if the silencer is a retro fit secured with a compression fitting.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

In some of my rifles, (springers) most of the very light or very heavy pellets keyholed.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Sticking the paper target down properly normally does the trick for me

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Even though in some instances it can be the target, I think the problems are mostly what Blankster mentioned above.

Rest in Peace Mike 05/12/2014

User Info Menu

I'm a bit confused with the issue here!

If targets are not secured properly or if the paper quality is not suitable as target paper the holes appearing will be odd. This will not cause a pellet to tumle before striking the target--obviously!

If it has been established that the pellet is tumbling then a keyhole shape will be the result on the target.

When pellets tumble they have not been stabilised. Why?

I am pretty sure the cause of this incompatibility can easily be determined if we knew a few facts e.g. Rifle, velocity and the pellets used.

If a good rifle is shooting good and compatible pellets and keyholing persists the cause is normally very low velocity.

REP: Oom A's Airguns

User Info Menu

Keyholing also occurs when the backing board is fairly shot away. "Borrow" an estate agents illegally placed Corex signboard on Sunday morning and shoot at it at the same distance as your "problem" target. If it punches a clean hole, look to your tatgets.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

All I can talk about is my experience, and I always have a good backing/target, so I can see the holes clearly. What I experienced was that very light pellets like Crosman Silver Eagles (4.8gr) and Skenco Steel fists (6.0gr) and some others went through sideways (keyholing) when shot through my Diana 350 and Hatsan 125. I'm guessing it's because they were unstable because of the extreme speed. Then I had some piledrivers do the same from my lower powered rifles, and I'm guessing that the shape and weight of the piledriver is just not compatible with these lower powered rifles and it doesn't stabilize.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

It's through my Bam B50, yes the target is stuck down properly on stiff card with plywood backstop behind that and I'm shooting at a perpendicular 90 degrees to the target over 15m. It's definitely too light pellets, I've experimented with other heavier weights and then it stopped.....thanks for the advice.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Anton probeer JSb Heavies, hulle is koning in my 25-30fpe BAm 50

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 30-06 View Post
    Anton probeer JSb Heavies, hulle is koning in my 25-30fpe BAm 50
    Jou kubus!! Vryf dit lekker in. Waar is hy veronderstel om Heavy's te kry. Jy't mos ALMAL en die volgende batch kom eers volgende jaar.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I got hold of Crosman heavies, they do the trick!!

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Crosman CP Ultramags wil nie in my Bam groepeer nie. Jy is baie gelukkig, want hulle is meer vrylik beskikbaar en ook nie so blerrie duur nie. Blank dis al wat in my geweer groepeer so ek moes alles wat wat ek kon kry...