Thread: NASP Archery

Rest in Peace Mike 05/12/2014

User Info Menu

Default NASP Archery

www.nasparchery.com.

National Archery in Schools Programme.

Recently introduced in South Africa and a joint venture between SANSSU, Archery SA. and SA Hunting and Game Conservation Association.

The goal is to introduce kids to a shooting sport at an early age so that they can be exposed to the safety involved and the shooting sports and conservation.
    A most important factor is to create an outdoor interest to keep the kids off the streets and bond families and communities.

It is an ideal vehicle to transform the shooting sport and is cheap---at this stage a 5 butt school or shooting centre range will cost about R16000-00. This includes bows arrows stands curtains quivers arm protectors butts etc.
    The discipline is regulated and the bows and arrows used are uniform---no equipment race possible! No sights meaning that instinctive shooting habits are taught early on. Many kids can use the equipment.

The self discipline and dedication in this sport is the same as rifle and pistol shooting and subsequent conversion to rifle and pistol will be easy.Five hundred thousand schoolkids in the USA are participating and we have two instructors who qualified in the USA recently and they have trained 26 instructors in South Africa. Only positives are taught and negative instruction methods are taboo...... Pupils are praised not critisized and developing self esteem and self confidence is cardinal.

Many archers and shooters are among those who have attended these courses and have themselves purchased the bows to practise at home with and learn the basics properly.

The bow used is called Genesis, it is a compound bow and the draw weight is adjustable to the needs of the pupil and is available from the Mathews agents, The shooting distance is 10 metres and less. Instruction courses to become an instructor will cost less than R400-00 and will take a day of your time. Preferably you will need to belong to one of the three structures mentioned.Other structures and individuals are welcome including youth clubs Scouts, Voortrekkers etc. Please do your bit as responsible parent and shooting enthusiast to conserve a South African culture (Shooting)...Get involved!

For detailed information visit the NASP website.

Thank you for reading this and do let us have your feedback as you are also part of an important shooting community and possibly share the goals of this venture?

One kid playing sport is one kid off the street and one less potential drug addict!!!!!

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I have just bought a bow for myself, my kids are interested is shooting. How much does a bow cost and can they use a normal recurve?

thanx

User Info Menu

The NASP programme is restricted to using only the Genesis bow by Mathews,

See www.genesisbow.com.

The bow kit here in SA costs +_ R1850-00 to NASP participants. The kit consists of bow 5 arrows quiver arm protector and adjustment key.

The kits are sold below cost due to the involvement of sponsors.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thanx squire
    Where can I buy 2 for my kids for christmas? (my daughter had a try out at school and would like to participate).

User Info Menu

Magnum Archery and Potshot!

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

thanx

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Surely they should be starting out on recurves, especially if olympic archery is their ultimate aim.

Switching from a compound to a recurve aint as easy as the other way round. All the same any type of shooting programme is good news.

Good luck and hats off to all those involved.

Protea Benchrest (Air) Team '08/'10/'11/'13/'15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    The NASP programme is restricted to using only the Genesis bow by Mathews,

See www.genesisbow.com.

The bow kit here in SA costs +_ R1850-00 to NASP participants. The kit consists of bow 5 arrows quiver arm protector and adjustment key.

The kits are sold below cost due to the involvement of sponsors.
    At that price it is a bargain come Dads by you kids bows

User Info Menu

Mac,

Considering the parties and dynamics involved much deliberation must have taken place before deciding on the compound bow.

The majority of USA shooters and archers do not share the European and Eastern vision of The Olympic Dream having their own disciplines which are hugely supported.

Without a very big feeder pool the Olympic aspiration will be fruitless....as extreme example compare the Chinese development and success to that of South Africa.

Thank you for the good wishes!

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Just bought one from Magnum. They are R2600 for the kit, don't have the arm protector or adjustment key. That being said they are good fun MY kids shot it until thier arms hurt

User Info Menu

dave S
    I am concerned about the price you paid and I have contacted the President of the NASP about this as there appears to be some sort of communication problem ---not what I was led to believe or what I paid---will advise!
    Last edited by MMP; 24-12-08 at 17:10. Reason: xxx

User Info Menu

dave S
    I think the price you paid was for non-NASP participants if you need more contact me by PM!

User Info Menu

dave S

The arm protector is wrapped around the quiver or should be....!

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thanx
    spoke to Wilhiem and he reffered me to a guy at magum who charged me 2600-00

will check the quiver
    thanx

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

hi

nice to c u guys interested in archery for your kids.
    yes - the "nasp" is great for our schools as anything to keep our kids outdoors is a winner in my books.

i'm very involved in archery and have traditional shoots that me and my wife arrange and we really incourage parents to bring there kids.

we give all kids who enter medals - certificates etc.
    it is done to build there confidence and obviously to promote trad archery.
    have added some photo's.

thanks
    Grant