Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decent airgun for a beginner?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Decent airgun for a beginner?

Hi all

I was wandering if any one could please give me and opinion on what is a decent rifle for a beginner to get and what calibre is also decent?

my grandfather has an air rifle but you have to break the barrel to reload it and has open sights. not sure wat type it is though.

thanks a lot

*edit* my spelling is bad this morn

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

howzit man. your question is way to wide unfortunately. You need to attach a budget and also what you intend doing with the rifle. Hunting, Target shooting, Field target shooting or Plinking or a combination of the above. Most people here have a few rifles to cover the wide spectrum of activities they are involved with. others just because they cannot decide which rifle they want most

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Yip, horses for courses. Almost 90% of the guys on this forum will tell you to get an Air Arms S400/S200 as a first PCP, or a Gamo CFX Royal as a first springer, Right ouks?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

ok in that case the uses I would have would mainly be field target shooting and maybe jus maybe comp shooting. I dont go hunting so yeah I would not really get anything for hunting purposes and probably something for killing these damned myners

as to budget I aint too sure bout that ATM jus looking for ideas right now then decide later

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Ok, then it's easy. Try to get a AA S400 if budget permits, about R7500-00 new, or S200 as a cheaper option about R5500-00, or wait for a really good deal in a used PCP.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

as said. Get a S400. dont bother about the cz200/s200 as they are pretty small. So if you are small of stature get one. Else walk on to the 400. That said. My CZ200 is the most accurate gun in my collection. Anyways. If you want to go the springer route and your budget is not near the amounts mentioned then go for the CFX Royal. Get a GRTIII trigger from abroad. Get a Nikko Stirling Airking scope and go shoot HFT. I would suggest you shoot HFT for your 1st season anyways as it teaches you a lot about reading the conditions, shooting and ranging. If your budget allows for more $$ then get a HW77, HW97 or TX200. the same airking can do duties if you shoot hft. For FT you would need to fork out a few $$ more for a scope that can accurately range find. All of the terms you read here may be a bit confusing. Search a bit ask a few questions and you will find answers.

Just remember. The PCP route can be pricey to start as you need to get a filling station as well. The S400's are R8.5 new I think. A filling adaptor close to a grand and a scuba tank.. well you get the picture. That said a quality springer (one in the list above ex the CFX) will cost you about the same. A new TX200 is about R8.5k A HW97 R8k. The CFX Royal a bit over R3k. A Nikko Stirling Airking 4-12x scope maybe just a tad over R1k. From there you can go all the way up to the new Nikko Stirling 10-50x60 for about R8k. You can go for more expensive scopes but you will probably not get better bang for buck than the big nikko for field target shooting.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JTK View Post
    as said. Get a S400. dont bother about the cz200/s200 as they are pretty small. So if you are small of stature get one. Else walk on to the 400. That said. My CZ200 is the most accurate gun in my collection. Anyways. If you want to go the springer route and your budget is not near the amounts mentioned then go for the CFX Royal. Get a GRTIII trigger from abroad. Get a Nikko Stirling Airking scope and go shoot HFT. I would suggest you shoot HFT for your 1st season anyways as it teaches you a lot about reading the conditions, shooting and ranging. If your budget allows for more $$ then get a HW77, HW97 or TX200. the same airking can do duties if you shoot hft. For FT you would need to fork out a few $$ more for a scope that can accurately range find. All of the terms you read here may be a bit confusing. Search a bit ask a few questions and you will find answers.

Just remember. The PCP route can be pricey to start as you need to get a filling station as well. The S400's are R8.5 new I think. A filling adaptor close to a grand and a scuba tank.. well you get the picture. That said a quality springer (one in the list above ex the CFX) will cost you about the same. A new TX200 is about R8.5k A HW97 R8k. The CFX Royal a bit over R3k. A Nikko Stirling Airking 4-12x scope maybe just a tad over R1k. From there you can go all the way up to the new Nikko Stirling 10-50x60 for about R8k. You can go for more expensive scopes but you will probably not get better bang for buck than the big nikko for field target shooting.
    Geez JTK, I couldn't have said it better!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

ok thanks for the info

when I wen shooting with a friend I used his 410 extra and that sat pretty well with me and well I think the weght of that is pretty decent.

I know this is gonna be newbish but what do PCP and any other terms stand for? And what is a springer and what are the differences?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Dude, go check out this link. It will answer most of your questions.

http://www.airguns.net/general_airgun_types.php

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

ok cool thanks for the help fellas

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Check Farmer's site as well:

http://www.all-about-airguns.co.za

He has quiet a lot of userful newbie information as well.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

410 extra is an amazing rifle. If I could do FT with it I am sure I would win every time pin point accuracy @ 1050 fps makes it just so easy!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

So, Mad, did you go to the shoot. Have you figured out what you want/need. We aim to confuse, sorry I mean we aim to please.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

hey guy it is mad here and no I did not go out to the shoot on sat coz of fam commitments and yeah I was really looking forward to it. but I am going out tomorrow hopefully and well I shall see what I get on my Bday which BTW is on the 4th of Jan.

Thanks for the invite to the shoot but as I said I had fam commitments to attend to

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hey, did you change your Username?