Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sort of interesting looking stock - James Mitchell

REP: Atom Precision Sport

User Info Menu

Default Sort of interesting looking stock - James Mitchell

Hi

Attached are a few pics of something I've been fiddling with on and off for quite a while. Still a bit rough but I thought I'll post a few pics as I probably won't be able to spend time on it for the next few weeks. Haven't decided on the color scheme yet but I'm leaning towards black and bright orange or maybe black and lime green or something Any suggestions?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

looks very cool

i would leave it just as it is

User Info Menu

Thanks. The thought crossed my mind to leave it as is but the laminated bamboo is a bit bland.

Protea FT Team '18/'19
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    MOT: Swan Air
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I love it. I think some bright interesting colors will look great on it. Here are some pics of painted stock. I must say there are some hideous ones as well. http://www.mikericklefs.com

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

wow. looks great! what is it made of?

User Info Menu

Thanks for the comments. Interesting colors on that site! The stock is made from laminated bamboo. Weight of the material is roughly the same as walnut but it's stronger and more stable than most wood.

Rest in Peace Mike 05/12/2014

User Info Menu

You are very gifted!

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

LEAVE AS IS! DO NOT PAINT. Looks perfect!

If you do, I'll come and shatter both of your femurs with the back end of an axe (exposed fractures) and rub pig manure onto the projecting bone ends!

Is that clear enough?

I would make the 'hamster section' adjustable into a 'super hamster'

User Info Menu

Could I perhaps convince you to rather use the cutting edge + peanut butter?
    Its not obvious from the pics but the problem is that I could not get thin sheets at the time to do the lamination myself. The stuff I got had a few minor voids in the lamination that has to be filled before finishing. I guess it should be possible to +- match the color of the wood with an epoxy mix but its not really ideal.

"super hamster" - Interesting you should mention this but that's part where the whole idea actually started I could not make up my mind on how the super hamster's adjuster should work and decided to leave that for now and just check if the concept is practical enough to pour more time into. You can expect me to start working on a nice click adjustable fore end about 10 seconds after they change the rules to allow stock adjustment during FT comps

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

James. I love this stock. I think the idea might work extremely well for s200's as well as the stock would end up being vary light for a FT stock and would suite the smaller people greatly. I must say I love the bamboo. very stable lamination that and the bamboo is also very stable laterally du to the consistant grain. Much like beech.

User Info Menu

Thanks JTK. Yep, I think it should work well on the S200. When I have the S400 one sorted out nicely I'll definately try one for the S200. I was actually quite surprised at how nice the bamboo is to work with. End of Feb I'm hopefully getting the bamboo I'm really after and I'm definately doing to use it on a few more stocks. The stuff is also available in very thin sheets that would have worked great to dye and make multi color laminates but those sheets are unfortunately too expensive to make it feasable.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

great. I am however still in the market for a cz200 stock for my sons rifle when you start. If you have time to make on sooner I would appreciate. Yor previous s200 design was rather pretty as well. Also, if you have the rig set up to do just the inletting then I can send you a piece of imbuia or maybe you can just take a piece of wood and do the inletting for me as this is the only thing that concerns me to do with my limited tools etc..

cheers
    JT

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Looks nice. I would suggest you leave it as is.

Protea FT Team '12

User Info Menu

Very cool , well done ... A nice adjustable trigger blade would really finish the gun off. I Like Black and Lime green for colors , but the Orange will work just as well , KTM style!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Leave the stock as is, only anodise the metal/shiny parts if you want to go for a certain colour... My $1's worth...