What exactly is this stuff? Overseas sites mention this as a cleaning agent.
Is it just alchohol from the pharmacy?
I would presume that the referral is towards Methylated spirits which is used as a cleaning agent ie.video heads etc.However,due to its corrosive properties,I would not advise it's use on airifle metals unless it's stainless steel of course as a long term cleaning agent.Normally the liquid is clear but the dye in it colours it opaque blue.
AFAIK it is the same stuff as meths. The blue stuff makes you sick when you drink it.(Reminds me of a previous life, riding the "blue train")The blue dye also leaves a (mostly) invisable film behind when dry. I used to clean the glass on the photo copiers with it and when you look closely you can see the film. If you find using it corrodes away at you rifle's metal parts I would suggest that you paid too much for your rifle. It is not that corrosive, if at all. As a laaitie the nurse or even the doctor used it to clean your arm for an injection. That is why I still hate the damn smell. I was brought to understand that it is unpure alcohol of some sorts, or was that just a story to make me drink it after it was poured through a slice off white bread?(riding the "blue train" like the "Bergies" do when nothing better is available.) It is abviously not healthy stuff to drink, so don't unless you want to look and act like me.. It is used as degreaser/cleaning agent,fuel etc., not all that bad after all.
White spirit is an aromatic compound, not to be confused with alcohol i.e ethanol which is sold with the blue stuff (Bitrex Trade Mark) to make it bitter.
White spirit is commonly used as a solvent to dissolve organic chemicals with long carbon chains to form emulsions or emulsifying compounds. The fumes/vapours are TOXIC in high concentrations and chronic exposure can lead to certain forms of liver and haemopathic cancers.
Just for interrests sake ethanol is not methanol but they both make you DRUNK.Well the former at least as far as we all know.He,he.However,if someone has been intoxicated with methanol(methylated spirits) the damage to the retina can be permanent resulting in blindness.The antidote is to allow the person to ingest ethanol and lots of it.The reason is that the ethanol is freferentially metabolized (forms ketones) to the methanol.The result is that the methanol is then excreted in the urine very much quicker than the ethanol.Treatment can take up to three days to complete.