Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which is better: pellet wieghing or sorting?

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Default Which is better: pellet wieghing or sorting?

I have a question. Today we ran some tests be it small tests but tests none the less. I have spent some time weighing pellets. Sorted the exacts into less than 8.3 gr, 8.3-8.39gr, 8.4-8.44gr, 8.45-8.55g, 8.56g+

I went about shooting some groupings to see hiw my setup is doing using the 8.4-8.44 gr pellets. getting less than fav groupings @ 40m on a stoep I shot the less than 8.3 and the more than 8.6 pellets at teh same distance. the 8.3's grouped better and the 8.6 worse. the only thing that bug's me is that they did not one hole but the poi did not change as I suspected. So my question is. Is time spent weighing a waste? will it not make more sense to pick the perfectly formed pellets from the tin and working with them, as they certainly seem to group better. I mean. on 40m the lightest pellet and the heaviest pellets vent through the same hole on a steyr. also, it would seem that lighter pellets appear to group better in my s400. anyone else confirm this on their's?

so to get to the bottom of this.. it seems that even though both have an effect it would seem that damaged pellets have a bigget effect on grouping downrange than pellet weight. The damaged pellet thing I have hear makes a diffs and then after that was told that it does not. but today's tests seems to confirm that damaged skirts havea bigger effect than weighing pellets.

btw, what grain is AA field? arent they a little less than exacts? who has a 4.52 tin I can buy over to test?

Rest in Peace Mike 05/12/2014

User Info Menu

Morning JTK,

I would suggest you search this forum as many threads have covered this topic and some very interesting results were forthcoming.

Try.... "Pellet sorting"

Protea FT Team '18/'19
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    MOT: Swan Air
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

It would make sense to me that sorting out damaged pellets will have a greater effect than weighing them. A damaged pellets aerodynamics will be influenced and and will result in it hitting exactly not where you have aimed. If you take a airplane and alter the one wing then it will definitely not fly straight. The difference in the weigh of the pellets is so minute that I can not see it to have a big influence on poi.
    I suppose the answer would be if you have a lot of time on your hands to sort and then to weigh them.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Jt ek gooi maar gewoonlik die met die beskadigde skirts uit en skiet die res. Partykeer glip daar een of twee deur en dan kry jy daai onverklaarbare flyer wat sommer enige plek gaan land.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

sien dis die ding. pellet weight sal net n vertikale groepering veroorsaak. die res moet pellet shape wees en wind.

Thanks MPP. actually never crossed my mind. me bad

Protea Benchrest (Air) Team '08/'10/'11/'13/'15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JTK View Post
    I have a question. Today we ran some tests be it small tests but tests none the less. I have spent some time weighing pellets. Sorted the exacts into less than 8.3 gr, 8.3-8.39gr, 8.4-8.44gr, 8.45-8.55g, 8.56g+

I went about shooting some groupings to see hiw my setup is doing using the 8.4-8.44 gr pellets. getting less than fav groupings @ 40m on a stoep I shot the less than 8.3 and the more than 8.6 pellets at teh same distance. the 8.3's grouped better and the 8.6 worse. the only thing that bug's me is that they did not one hole but the poi did not change as I suspected. So my question is. Is time spent weighing a waste? will it not make more sense to pick the perfectly formed pellets from the tin and working with them, as they certainly seem to group better. I mean. on 40m the lightest pellet and the heaviest pellets vent through the same hole on a steyr. also, it would seem that lighter pellets appear to group better in my s400. anyone else confirm this on theirs?

so to get to the bottom of this.. it seems that even though both have an effect it would seem that damaged pellets have a bigget effect on grouping downrange than pellet weight. The damaged pellet thing I have hear makes a diffs and then after that was told that it does not. but today's tests seems to confirm that damaged skirts have a bigger effect than weighing pellets.

btw, what grain is AA field? aren't they a little less than exacts? who has a 4.52 tin I can buy over to test?
    sorting of weight is a waist of time. if the dome is damage(scratch) it will have an effect. There is chaps that I know that check each pellet with a magnifying glass for damages on the pellet.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I dig out pellets from my telephone book (back stop) and shoot the usable ones again. On short distances it makes no difference. You will sit in amazement when you see how well badly damaged pellets still perform up to 15m.

After 15m I found dome damage starts to become very visible in POI. Minor skirt damage not so much as it flares to it's "relative" size again on shooting.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Check out chairgun and you'll see the difference between an 8.0gr and an 8.4gr pellet is about 2mm at 40m.

This is only going to cause concern for those that shoot long range for group size and maybe the benchrest and 10m boys where .5mm is going to win or lose you the comp.

Far better to visually sort the pellets unless you got spare time on your hands and it gives you a mental edge on your opponents.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJHS View Post
    sorting of weight is a waist of time. if the dome is damage(scratch) it will have an effect. There is chaps that I know that check each pellet with a magnifying glass for damages on the pellet.
    I remember some company (pellet or rifle) doing a test on damaged pellets and they found more erratic flight with a damaged/scratched head than a damaged skirt.

So be warned, leave the skirts alone and pollish your head!!!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

In general sorting/weighing isn't such a big issue/benefit with JSB ammo types. Try sorting Crosman "match" ammo and you'll see how wide the weight variance is, so clearly some ammo types will benefit more from sorting/weighing.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

This is why R135 a tin for JSB is never going to seem prohibitively expensive. Put up the price if you like, flyers piss me off more!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

MAC, "leave the skirts alone and polish your head", I will never look at pellets the same way again

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I have also heard that it makes difference weighting and sorting Crosman Premiers but it doesn't affect much AA or JSB. Supposedly you can get Crosman Premiers perform even better than AA/JSB in some rifles.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Andrew,
    Sorry for that, how did you look at them before?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Clearly I have an impure mind he he!