Thread: Barel vibration video

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Barel vibration video

This is just to show the diference between a springer and (looks likePCP) PCP rifle.
    http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=FaW_Hs0B79c
    http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ8vKXx9MkI

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

That's an eye opener. No wonder the springers are so difficult to shoot well. Notice most of the flexing happens before the pellet exits the barrel.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Yup Now I dont feel so bad for shooting @#$$# anymore! QB78 looks MUCH better at this time!

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

hehe.. no wonder most scopes dont last!

anyways. what is more impressive is the accuracy most good springers can achieve with that going on. btw, that does look like a HW doesnt it? The springer that is.

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

So, in theory, a carbine-length barrel should result in more accuracy?
    Short barrel = less flexing??

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BludLust View Post
    So, in theory, a carbine-length barrel should result in more accuracy?
    Short barrel = less flexing??
    That makes sense to me. Also, the pellet would leave a carbine-length barrel sooner (however marginal that would be?), so it shouldn't be as affected by the flexing of the barrel as it would out of a longer barrel.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

yes:

1) pellet leaves barrel sooner so recoil affects accuracy less
    2) pellet already at max velocity 9inches down the barrel. Any more just slows it down.
    3) shorter barrel will have less pronounced flexing because of higher resonant frequency of the shorter barrel.
    4) shrouded barrel will even flex less due to the two different frequencies of the barrel and the shroud.

the only down side to a shorter barrel is less stability. Other than that Carbine barrels rule.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I have proof of that. As you've seen previously I cut my Norica Krono to 12 Inches, and all of a sudden it changed from being a complete dog to something half decent. I can get 20mm groupings at 30m with it, which is quite respectable for that rifle. Previously at that distance it sometimes missed the A4 sized target completely.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

HECTIC! Wish my Krono shot like that.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Chop and re-crown brother. It's worth it. Got a Combo lathe/milling/drilling machine today, now I'm gonna PLAY.

REP: Atom Precision Sport

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ou Van View Post
    Got a Combo lathe/milling/drilling machine today, now I'm gonna PLAY.
    Enjoy! There's nothing that beats the feeling of getting new tools. I know very little about metal work but got a lathe last year. While I was figuring out how all the levers on this this beauty was suppose to work my cellphone rang and being an idiot of note, I answered it. From there things just got out of hand rapidly . Managed to run that big moving thing in the middle that the toolpost mounts on, into the tailstock under autofeed. Needles to say everything locked up with nasty gear noises. To make a long story short it took about a full day to take the brand new machine apart and assemble again. There was one little spline thingy left after assembly but it seems not to be crucial if one don't mind having only half the functionality of the original design Guess I should just order the replacement for the part that broke and figure out where that little spline thing goes.

Keep us updated with what you do the new toy!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I'm going to shorten barrels and make muzzle brakes/sound moderators, top hats, spring guides and any other upgrade that can be made by turning and milling. Might even try a GRT type trigger blade. First I'm going to learn how to use it!

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Interesting viewing.I would like to see the video for a under lever springer.I mpre or less would expect a neck breaker to be a bit flexible.

REP: Atom Precision Sport

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    Interesting viewing.I would like to see the video for a under lever springer.I mpre or less would expect a neck breaker to be a bit flexible.
    Maybe it's time for a digital camera upgrade for yourself then we don't have to depend on youTube for interesting airrifle clips. I see these have been taken with a CASIO EX-F1 at 1200fps. Apparently the CASIO EX-FH20 can do 1000fps at a little bit more than half the price of the F1.

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Not a big fan of Casio camera's. 1200 frames per second would be interesting though.