Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: advice needed

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default advice needed

I have a b2 .177 wich is my experementation rifle, now I read in one of the posts that if a barrel is longer than 11in the pellet actualy slows down.This gun's barrel is 39.2cm up to where it goes into the breech and 48.5cm incl the breech.Would it be advisable to shorten the barrel and what would be gained by such a mod?

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Hi Spinner,

shortening the barrel does not only have an effect on velocity. The barrel is a cocking aid and on well designed rifles the barrel is also that length due to harmonics and also some are choked. As for the B2. I doubt it will make much diffs to the accuracy. The only thing is you need to re-crown the muzzle. This may improve accuracy if done properly and may add a few fps.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

If your gain is anything less than 1000fps then it's not worth the effort... Maybe I should shorten the Walther's barrel... LOL

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Spinner, go and read the thread below. I started experimenting with chopping barrels and got lots of good advice from the guys. My first chop turned out to be very successful.

https://www.airrifle.co.za/showthread.php?t=6053

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

hehe.. just to add.. the shorter barrel length is only on a springer.. pcp and CO2: longer barrel (within reason) = more velocity

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

There's a guy on the Dianawerk collective forum that chopped a barrel inch by inch to check results on a chrony. His username is "Chopper", wonder why. Anyway his experiment worked very well and he got the optimum length for his (I think 350 Mag) barrrel eventually, but he chopped an inch too much in the end and had to buy a new barrel to cut to the optimum length. I think he used 14 inches, so it shows that there probably isn't an optimum length that is applicable to all springers. Each rifle probably has it's own length that will work best, but from what I've read, its between 9" and 13" for springers.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

hehe.. imagine cocking a 350 with a stumpy barrel

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JTK View Post
    hehe.. imagine cocking a 350 with a stumpy barrel
    I can imagine!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi ou Van
    Since youve done this before ( the Krono looks great!) what length do you think will work well for the B2, like I said its a experement gun so if I screw up ..oops! The gun also has barrel droop. P.S the gun is rated @ +-500fps

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

try loading the rifle holding the barrel at different places...if you feel comfortable loading it while holding the barrel at say a simulated 14" then lop it off there...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I agree with Guido. Shorter might be better as far as optimum velocity and accuracy goes, but there is the practical consideration of being able to cock the rifle. You could go down to 9", but why not start at 13-14" to see what difference it makes. The most important part will be the re-crowning. make sure you get a nice even crown and make sure no burrs are left. The Norica is still very easy to cock at 13" and it is a 640fps gun. Adding a muzzle brake or sound moderator (make sure it's strong enough) obviously helps with the cocking effort.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanx. Just one more stupid question do you measure the barrel from where you put the pellet in or from where the barrel goes into the breech? does anyone know who can do a decent refurbishmen on a Gekado mod23?

REP: Oom A's Airguns

User Info Menu

Just carry a piece of pipe with an ID the diameter of the barrel. You can then cut ot 50mm if you want.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Had a look @ that gun tonight decided not worth the effort! B2's are CRAP!!!!!!!!!! just going to give the gun to my boet maybe it will work better as a golf club

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Spinner, even if it is a crap gun, just use it to practice your airgunsmithing skills on.