Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pellet lube

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Default Pellet lube

Seems there is no Napier to be found for sale at the moment.I have read in a few places that 3 in 1 sewing machine type oil is usable . Anybody tried it ?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Some guys use Pledge, yes the furniture polish.
    I think 'Fresh Pine' was the best, doesn't upset the pigeons.

Seriously though, some people do use it.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

yip..Pledge works well

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Jojoba oil(Simmondsia Chinesis):
    Used mainly as an industrial lubricant,is liquid at room temperature,odourless and resistant to oxidation.Ask Nick Jenkinson!!!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Q20 works pretty good. Spray on a rag and roll the shot around for a while.

Hey Avion, you qualified to fly that flag?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

erm. Yes indeed Brian. Wanna me to scan me passport. :P

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I did see some stuff at TS in a spray bottle, might have been a Logan brand, not sure. Anyone used this at all. By the size of the bottle I should imagine it'll last a lifetime.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I use it Avion, and yes it is Logun, again just another lubricant thats all. Haven't found that it's better or worse than Napier

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Forgive my ignorance, but what benefit is there to lubricating your pellets?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

To be short and sweet- for 3 months my rifle likes it (tighter groups) and the all of a sudden it dislikes it again. Same batch of pellets was used and the rifle was not cleaned.
    Moral of the story- DON'T knock the idea until you have tried it.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I think Chris;what we try to achieve is to reduce the frictional coefficient whilst the pellet is travelling thru the barrel.I assume that most of these lubes are wax based and my primary concern is that eventhough they form a barrier between pellet and steel acting as a lubricant,how well do they repel dirt and lead particles which can build up in the barrel over time.
    Has anyone seen the Prolong Advert (Drive across America without any oil).Apparantly this is a silicone based product and forms a film one molecule thick between two metals.Has anyone tried this yet?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I would not recommend using prolong in a rifle as the molybdenum which provides the lube, bonds to the metal permanently in a microscopic layer. It will be virtually impossible to remove such a residue once it has been applied.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

i thought molybdenum based grease is the one to use.........in springers atleast.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Yeah! I think that there is a huge difference between a grease and a liquid compound that bonds to the steel at molecular level. If any one has a springer to sacrifice, this may just be the holy grail of spring piston air rifle shooting. Look Ma no friction!
    Look Ma- No dieseling.

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Falcon , just read the AWg article Sept 2004 see where you get the Jojoba oil trick from Nick Jenkinson. Never ever heard anyone say that you should not drop the lube onto the top of the pelets .I always thought it was a bit strange that some would get a lot i the skirt and others next to nothing . The advise to smear the lube on the side of the tin and then swirl the tin around is something i will have to try .Worried if I try Jojoba oil that it will leave a buildup if it is a "wax like" lube.