Thread: Can we compare?

MCJ's Avatar MCJ

Default Can we compare?

Sometimes when I go the the shooting range, I find "hunter with big calibers rifle" shooting so badly that I get cold when I thing about the poor bokkie that is in the way of this guy's bullet. Other guys shoot all over the show, you know the "wolrd class type" shooting all over the world, that I started wondering....

could a comparison be made between an air rifle guy shooting grouping of 40mm or tighter at 40m with an air rifle compared to an larger caliber rifle shooting at 250m to 300m, as these are the distances the hunters say they always get the animal?

If the guy shoots a grouping of 150mm at 100m is this considered to be good compared to air rifles....

Please put me in the picture.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

1)Most of them lie about the distances they shoot at. In the bush you normally shoot at between 30 and max 100m.
    2) Out on the plains you shoor at 300m, if you know what you doing, up to 500m.
    3) Hunting rifles are normally zeroed to shoot 3 inches high @ 100 m so you are still in the money at 300 or further.
    4)Kill zones, depending on what you shoot at, are very big compared to "air rifle game" so you have up to eight inches to wobble in and still score relatively well.
    5) We have to stalk and shoot much better to get our bag full.
    I don't know if I told the story about the chappie with his 500 nitro that fired 10 shots at my chicken sillhoutte just to prove he can't shoot for s..t. He will probably hit an elephant or buffalo though.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Rough calculation
    40mm@50m = 80mm@100m=160mm@200m
    Now go and shoot 40mm groupings @ 50m with a spring gun ! with your PCP you're not fighting recoil, they are fighting it with their centrefire rifles.

Some "hunter" can't shoot paper, some paper shooters can't hunt ...

Don't judge until you're in their shoes

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I'm not much of a hunter with any rifle but I have been in the veld with a few guys. In a lot of cases I've seen them miss by a mile because of twenty reasons other than the fact that they shoot up to... You hear that on the range aswell. I have come across quite a few guys that always shoot full score on their own but at this compitition they can't hit 50% of the targets. We have great shots in out mids that can pull off head shots at 3 and 400 meters but can't hit a kudu at 50. Like me, not all of us can brag that we have the gift, although we would all have liked to. Some of us accept the truth and some prefer to lie about it.
    The point is that for hunting with fire arms you don't need to be as accurate as in target shooting, or when using an air rifle to hunt,to be in the money. Hunting is very forgiving up to a point, then you start walking your arse off looking for wounded animals.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

But lets face it Gerrie, we all need the exercise ...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Me, more than anybody else!!!!

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I just came from the shooting range trying to sight my hunting firearm. Man, if only I can shoot as well with that as I do with my PCP I will be very happy indeed.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

On my recent hunting trip in the Northern Cape the average distance of spotted game was estimated at about 50 paces! The Kudu I took was at 67 walking paces. We could not get close to the Springbok so we 'ambushed' them from a windmill. Getting up to the top of the windmill without dropping your beloved Ruger was big enough adventure already. Once up there I spotted many Springbokkies at under 100m, but was not comfy with my shooting ability from a windmill in icy winds.Did not take any shots and slept well ever since. My point? Don't take shots if you are not sure, sleep well and hunt another day..Next season I'll practice shooting from the top of my windmill !!