Thread: Barrel Thickness!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Barrel Thickness!

Why is it that some manufacturers who have been in the airgunning business for quite some time viz; Webley & Scott,BSA and Weihrauch prefer to build rifles with rather thick barrels whilst the more recent manufacturers prefer thinner barrels.Why have a thin barrel with lighter weight up front when most FT shooters prefer heavier front ends? Is there any significant difference in accuracy between a HW100 and a S410/400 when one looks at their barrel thickness?What significant gains are there in stability(resonance) over accuracy?

Fx,Falcon pneumatics and Air Arms tend to follow a different trend or is it simply,with all due respect, that they all fit Lothar Walther barrels to their rifles in order to achieve the ultimate accurate airgun.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Most of the PCP's on the market will outshoot the shooter, thin or thick barrel. I would also prefer a 16mm barrel (not shroud) on my ultimate air rifle. Lothar does make barrels like this and I don't know why the manufacturers goes for the "flimsy" ones!

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

I agree Lewis...

At the benchrest shoot on Saturday a chap that bought a .20 HW 16mmOD barrel from me had fitted it to his AA S410E...it looked awesome!!

Steyrs have 16mmOD barrels hehehe...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Perhaps it's something to do with harmonics and vibration, the HW being an FAC model originally?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

agree with lewis here.......but here's my theory......
    gun makers like BSA, Weihrauch....etc much of their products are springers and more specifically break-necks. hence the need for thick barrels to cope with cocking/leverage. just have to cock a hw90 to see what i mean.......

they produce their own barrels, economy of scale, they are all the same thickness. eg BSA 15.5mm

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

I would be inclined to agree with Urabus, BSA and Weihrauch manufacture their own barrels so these get used on their pcp rifles. Also the BSA designs use fully free floating barrels hence a need for a thicker barrel.

Webley (to the best of my knowledge) sub contract their pcp production to FX, so they will be equipped with whatever barrel style is currently in vogue with that company.

In terms of accuracy versus barrel thickness in the years that I have been using pcp rifles I have really not found a definitive answer one way or the other. I have seen Nick Jenkinson experiment with all manner of barrel configurations, rifling styles and so on, yet he and I both find that we possess S400's with out of the box barrels that out perform dedicated FT guns, so I've given up worrying about and just get on enjoying the shooting.

Dale
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Tue Jul 05 2005, 08:41AM ]</span>

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Webley in fact also use their own barrels except on the Fx2000 and Spectre models.The Raider for instance has it's 16mm barrel precision 12 grooved on their own machinery.This is sunk a full 35mm into the action block and held in place by twin bolt fixing.There's even a soft o' ring inside the front fixing collar which allows the barrel to float fractionally.At less than 300 quid this is value for money and the plus side is that the damn thing is built like a Challenger II tank.