Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scope quality

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Scope quality

Browsing through the Magnum last night I was comparing scope prices, and realised that there wasn't much difference between Nikko Stirling, Ultraoptic, and Hawk/Air Max (with the exclusion of the sidewinders), relative to the models presented. Over the past few years I've been fortunate to own scopes by each of the manufacturers, fitted on PCP's and Springers, without any difficulty. So, here?s the question, are any one of these manufacturers? products better than the others, or all they all the same thing with a different label? :?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

most of them are from the same factory..........

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Most guys will tell you that the optics of one or the other is superior. I can hardly see the diffs. myself. If I can see what I'm aiming at reasonably well enough to hit it, I don't care if I can see the mole it has on its upper lip.(Clearity I think they call it) A pigeon has never smiled at me soo nicely that I wanted to take a clear photo of it any way. I think most, if not all have the potential to help you win a compitition or hunt successfully.
    Which brand of fuel makes your car go faster, longer or smoother or gets you in Cape Town quicker from J'burg? As far as I'm concerned, the same difference with scopes. Just my opinion and probably the only bum with a wish list as long as his arm, that feels that way.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Japanese is the way 2 go, stay away from made in China, my China

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Ironically the chinese featured the most prominently at the last Olympics in Athens in the the air rifle events and not the Japanese.Maybe they should not be discounted so easily or should they??

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Not really a comparison to draw between how they train their Olympic shooters and the quality of their optical products.

It is fair to say that by and large the Japanes built optics are better than the Chinese counterparts, although in fairness to some of the Chinese products they are improving.

At the end of the day if you want quality then you have to pay for it.

Dale

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

open sights using austrian/german hardware...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I think Gerrief hit the nail on the head with his comments. Dale you are correct the Chinese are good shooters due to their strict and highly disciplined training regime. If I could post a 599/600 i damn sure am a good shooter! I just purchased a NS Night eater, still have to shoot with it. The optics are Muuuch clearer than with the 4-12 that I have been used to..........

Ogre's Avatar Ogre

German / Austrian optics the best. Zeiss / Swarovski /Leica. However gerrief hits the nail on the head. A scope that has more precise/robust mechanical innards together with reasonable optics is okay for most - we aren't taking a hi-res photo here, just the direction and distance is all that really matters. If the image is more important, then perhaps having a scope with image stabilisation would be a good feature LOL ;-)

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stoffeltoo
    Dale you are correct the Chinese are good shooters due to their strict and highly disciplined training regime.
    it's more like.......woo, if i get a medal at the games, i will become a national hero, get my millions and my family won't have to starve next winter.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by urabus
    it's more like.......woo, if i get a medal at the games, i will become a national hero, get my millions and my family won't have to starve next winter.

there is nothing wrong to be a world champion and national hero. especially for a country have 56 nations and 33 province. 9 times bigger than south africa. in anther hand, the neighbor country which have similar population - INDIA. never seen them in Olympics top list since olympic started in many years ago.

btw, shooting sport in china is not parpular at all. shooters use other country's gear is perfectly normal.

talk about quality now. some people always think the item been made from china is no good. wrong wrong wrong.. actually the quality all depending the oversea buyer's budget. same factory normally have few different quality production line(die) and material sources. they do exactly according to the buyer's need. if oversea buyer only wants to pay $30 for the product and the factory will make it for them with that money. it's totally flexible but the downside is sometimes has to sacrifice the reputation. that's y there are many brands or same brand of product come from the same factory and some got good qualtiy some don't.

US ARMY in iraq wear latest designed bullet proof vest made from china. if the quality is a issue. they won't be that stupid to try it on their own soldiers. china became to USA's third biggest trade partner, if quality is a issue in china then USA woundn't buy that much from china.

in fact, we been ripped off by locally dealers most of time without knowing. for exemple: the bridgestone d694 tyre was quoted to me at local shop(after 30% discount) price is R1750 each , my friend just bought the same tyre in china at retail price equal to R650 each. go figure.

hehe.. if u believe chinese r starving in the winter. think again.

http://look.newgx.com.cn/pictmp1/200...22552_1296.jpg

hilton's Avatar hilton

I hear BSA is manufacturing scopes specifically for air rifles, anyone know how good the scopes really are ?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

oh yes, the Air Rifle (AR) range...............
    i've got/had 2...........a 2-7 X 32 and 3-12 X 44
    can't fault them, 2-7 was on bsa supersport, now on another guys mendoza, and the 3-12 on the diana m46. no broken reticles/lenses..........yet.

pretty good optics for the price..........
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Thu Jul 14 2005, 11:33AM ]</span>

psychoSven's Avatar psychoSven

i think its pretty safe to say that scopes are like cars with regards to price ranges, citroen, peugot and renault bring car ranges of similar price ranges, these cars are generally of the same quality and similar stats, u cant start comparing them to say a E55 AMG, price, stats and quality are in totally different legues, same with scopes, scope between R800 - 1k would generally be in the same catagory with minor differences but you cant compare a gamo scope to a leupold. so you could say that 3 scopes in the same price range would have the tiniest differences that we probably wont notice. not like a house that changes price just cos its in a different area!

SerpentWolf's Avatar SerpentWolf

Can I ask you something?
    Honest. Think it would be a good idea if i get a scope for my springer? I have heard they break easily, and move around with the recoil etc.

But Im not sure, and I would really like to put a scope on my Hatsan... let me know please, opinions is welcome.