Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Classics

REP: The Airgun Shop

User Info Menu

Default Old Classics

Most of us... no refrase that... most guys over 35, probably learned to shoot with an old BSA or Gecado.

Does anyone here know how powerfull those old rifles were, and how they actually compare with newer springers?

BSA I learned to shoot with was awesome as far as accuracy goes, but the Gecado was more powerfull.

hilton's Avatar hilton

I started with a BSA Meteor in 1983, the rifle could penetrate the drivers door of an Opel Manta at 10m. My ass still feels the burn I got from my folks when I think of that day.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Bull with the over 35 story, I'm 29 and had a Gecado, can't remember model.
    Gr8 for protecting your roof, our neighbour and his bloody fantail doves ...

hilton's Avatar hilton

Your opinion, but that's what happened.

User Info Menu

Good thing you didn't shoot at a Opel Monza... bullet would have gone straight through both doors.

Have anyone tested any of these rifles? (FPS)

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I repair a lot of the "old timers" and the avarage speed is around 550-650 fps for the normal rifles. Had a Falke model 80 a few months back that did 880 with AA fields (new spring and seals fitted).

User Info Menu

How expensive is it to repair them, new seals, springs etc. and where do you get the parts.

Dou you just have to find the right size spring or are they specific for the make and model?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

grew up in the concrete jungle, only form of shooting i did was air soft and indoor archery. did .22 in high school, and shot my first springer begining of last year age 26 (sad i know).

it's hard to rate the oldies, as the spring/seal wears out over time.........but iirc, the factory rating for the meteor is around 8ftlbs, gecado 50 - 10ftlbs and the 34/36? 12+ lbs. with medium weight pellets, they should do 600-650fps, 700-750fps and 800fps respectively.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

contact ronden, they stock springs/piston seals for old BSA's, gecado's......etc

User Info Menu

No this is what I was looking for !!!! Thanks

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

1970 toet. Cecado model 25, real jelly gun, you could follow the pellet (Radius) trajectory. Once shot my sister with a privet berry and my backside still remembers the pain.
    Up to 4 years ago I still used it with a jelly spring and all and could kill a rat at 10m with a head shot, same with a pigeon, no overpenetration. I guess it did 300-350fps

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I chronied my 35 year old Gecado 25 & it shot 545 f/s . I would'nt even hazard a guess how many pellets , lumps of plasticene , berrys , canna seeds etc etc this has shot . Plus thousands of dry fires to scare monkeys from the bird feeder table . ( wife does the dry fire bit , despite my plea to shoot a pellet into the sand . )

ice's Avatar ice

I'm very fortunate to still have my first springer. Not the "state of the art" Gecado/BSA's of that time, but a Slavia 618, dunno when it was made, but i had years of great fun with it.

Money for pellets (Radius) was not easy to come by not to mention the "top of the range" Marksman (had to be top of range , as it came in a red box. Anyhow this was my introduction to the wonderful world of airguns. This was long before worries about Scopes, dialing in, E.S, regulators, shots/fill, power and so on. I just enjoyed shooting it.

Still the same spring/piston/seal and she's doing a cool 298 fps with 7.9gr pellets.

Look no air leaks. 8)

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

I still throw stones sometimes...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

We had this discussion before and I will repeat, for you late comers benefit, what I think.

Our state of the art rifles are over priced for what we get.
    They are too powerful,they over penetrate.
    They are flimsy: (brake when dry fired, too heavy pellet etc.)
    As you guys say, in the good old days when the only pellet you could have was a Marksman you could either shoot or you couldn't. No nonsence about pellet prefereance, better seals,pellet lube, broken springs etc. etc.
    As has been proven, some of them still shoot with the same spring and seals and still produce "one shot kills" to metion but only a few points.