Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scope for Gamo 440

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Default Scope for Gamo 440

Hey guys . Stripped my Airmax off my Gamo for my AA. Was wondering what a fair scope is to put back onto the Gamo.Must be something that can take the punch.I was thinking a Niko or a Airmax again . Dont want to spend a fortune but do want to have a reasonable scope for plinking and perhaps HFT

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

If you want to do HFT with your rifle make sure the scope has milldots. I have to buy a new scope for my HFT rifle for the old one has a "30/30" reticule and it makes life difficult on the HFT range.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Allan...Sell you my Hawke Airmax for R700 as new, used once or twice only.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Allan..if you wait a week or so I have some nice Leapers \AGS coming in...all airgun rated, mil-dots, Illu reticles, AO etc...will keep you posted

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Brian + Guido .What spec are the scopes ?

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

3-12X44 SF illu ret
    4-16X56 SF illu ret
    3-9X40
    3-9X50
    6-24X50
    4-16X50
    others....

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Guido do Leepers do a true mil dot reticle ?

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

what is a true mil-dot reticle?
    I don't understand your question...

Mil dot reticles are always true but different scopes have them calibrated at different magnifications.
    My Tasco Custom has a true Mil-dot at 10X
    My Leapers 4-16 at 16X
    My Leapers 3-12 at 12X

Scopes with 4 mags or so do not have the mil dots calibrated at those powers...they are just reference points.

At the correct power the distance between 2 mil-dots [as measured on the target] is exactly 1/1000th the range

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Sven let me have a look through his scope .The spacing betwen the dots is way different to the Airmax scopes I have .How do I work out with a program like Chairgun what my holdover is ? Or have I missed the bus ?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

5.5-16 x 44 AO (dont know what the AO means, sorry)
    1/4" MOA clicks
    Mildot Reticle
    Look through the back, see through the front.
    In JHB, closer than Capetown

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Allan...you just enter the magnification at which your scope is set for the 1/1000th rule.
    For Svens scope you enter 16.

ice's Avatar ice

Even if there was a difference between the dots!?, you still have to shoot to work out the trajectory. Although the aforementioned programs are very good, they are still only to be used as a reference. One or more range sessions would quickly rid you of any doubt how much holdover/under is required to hit at certain distance.

Cheers
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Sun Jul 10 2005, 07:23PM ]</span>

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

alan i have a hawke air max 6-18x44 if you are interested in it for R700 and if you want b-square mounts that you can have with the scope

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I have a Gamo 440 and spent many hours phoning around to find an appropriate scope for my rifle. I had many people telling me that the Hawke range of scopes are not suitable for a springer and I had just as many other people telling me it was.

Eventually I talked to the guys at Ramrod (the suppliers of Hawke). A guy there (forget his name) told me that although the Hawke is officially spring rated he has many come back to him because of damage done on a springer and he suggested I rather buy a Ultratech.

I went ahead and bought the Ultratech and sofar I am very happy.

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Chris , my last Airmax did OK on the springer .Ultratech is not my favorite brand.