Thread: which do you use?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default which do you use?

hi guys just wondering what every one else is doing.....do you dial in or use mildots?

im not sure what i should do dialing in seems to be a lot of work.....but maby would work better if you get it right?

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Being new to it all both would involve guessing on my part.Mil-dots just seem less hasle. Think for dialing you need a good scope.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Dialling in, once you have got it set up it is far more precise than aim off.

Dale

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Dialling.

Jamie

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Use milldots until you know your trajectory well and then start dialing in. People make it sound so difficult, it is just zero'd for every few meters.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

what do you start at and end?10,11,12,13,14,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Work according to your rifle/pellet trajecory. If 10 and 11 meters are the same no need to mark both (just an example). You will need more markings between 35 and 50 for it is there that the pellet starts falling

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

ok thanks lewis, i just wasnt sure what i should use....i think i am going to give dialing in a proper try now that i know my trajectory

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I also prefer dialing now for FT, thanks to Dale and Hennie and a lot of other folks that conviced me that it is better and more accurate. I zero at 25 and then do from 10 to 25 every meter My fiorst zero is at 18 and it falls out of the LOS at 30. I then start again at 35-5- and every five meter intervals. To be honest I haven't shot a compitition yet, dialing in, but I'm going to give it a go next week at Leeuwkop. Once I cottoned ot to how it is done I found it to be extremely accurate on the targets.
    For hunting I still use Mill.dots because it takes too long to range and then dial in and I"m afraid the pigeon(that's all I hunt) dies of old age in the process.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Dialling will never work for hunting!
    Gerrie get a new keyboard please

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Lewis,

Depends on the type of hunting you are doing. If you are stalking and come across animals suddenly then aiming off is best, however, there are other circumstances when dialling in is usable.

For instance a few weeks back Jamie and I were hunting from my bakkie. Jamie driving and me shooting out of the passengerr side window. I spotted two rabbits at the bottom of a slope that had not noticed us. there was ample time to employ the laser rangefinder and dial in for the 45 yard distance. Result 2 perfect head shots no twitching or anything from the rabbits.

Dale

PS, when you and Ziggy are over with us you will get a chance to do some hunting after rabbits and pigeons.

<span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Mon Jul 18 2005, 01:09PM ]</span>