Thread: DA BAM

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default DA BAM

This is my kit. Bottom of the range ... chinese made.
    Everything included (scope, rifle, 10lt scuba tank, bipod ...) only set me back +-R5700

The rifle was shooting great when I received it doing about 1050fps with 8.44gr JSB pellets. Since then it has been tamed and is doing about 12ftlbs now. Turning down the rifle consited out of the making of a new striker spring guide(wich lightens the strker spring tension), replacing the striker adjustment screw with a longer one (adjustable while the gun is assembled ... losing the safety though) Another plus of turning down the power is I fill my gun to 95Bar and shoot it of to about 50Bar for about 50-60 shots, this means I use my 10lt scuba bottle a long time before refilling.

The trigger was also set to have no first stage, a little bit lighter pull and was bent a little to get it straighter (was very curved). Another couple of precautionary steps where taking to ensure nothing else on the gun fails prematurely.

The length of pull on this gun I found was a bit too much so I removed the rubber butplate and replaced it waith a piece of hard carpet while I work on a new one.

A silencer was made and fitted, those of you that don't know a pcp has a report that sounds like a .22 rimfire if not silenced.

QD sling swiwels and studs where fitted to attach the Leapers/B-Square bipod and a sling. These bipods works great and are constructed from aluminium which makes them very lightweight.

A Leapers 4-16X56 IR SWAT (30mm tube) scope with sunshade, flip-up lens covers and big side-wheel was fitted. This gun is mostly used for some informal plinking/target shooting and hunting. The IR is great when shooting in the evening. Picture quality is good and the mildots are easy to use once you know your trajectory.

The pellet pouch was also made by myself and works great either on the rifle sling or on my belt. The pouch is opened and close very easily. No more noisy pellets.

As for accuracy on this gun, when quality pellets are used one hole groups are to be expected when you know what you are doing.

A big thanks to Guido for sourcing the scope and bipod and also the very nice JSB pellets.

Thanks to Warrick for the tips concernining the operation/maintanance of the gun.

Thanks to IT-Man for the use of his chrony.

<span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited ]</span>

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Great report!
    May you have may happy shooting days!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

very nicely done............it further proves my point that, with a little TLC, these bottom of the range pcp's are capable shooting rigs.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

I have 10 B-square type bipods arriving tomorrow...anyone want please contact me...
    gdg@iafrica.com 0836753341

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

if i have a pouch like that. i will have my all pellets pour out everywhere even i only want to pick 1 pellet. hehe...

decent setting. what's next?

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Arnold , How does the rifle fit you ? I quite like the bams size being a bit of a big bloke.

MOT: Thomson Pneumatic Rifles

User Info Menu

8) Nice one arnold. Glad its working for you. What is the rifle running at on full charge? As I said to you in the emails I have been pushing the BAM's for power for a semi .22 replacement. I have done some work now on reducing the power to target levels, down to 550fps if you like??? on a full charge at 800fps I got bored trying to do a shot count! Will let you know when I am through.

Allan the rifles are realy full size and will cater for most big shooters, the std stock is better if you have big hands as the thumb hole has a very slim neck at the top of the grip. All BAM's delivered by me are checked and all niggles sorted before it leaves the work shop. Power setting and reporting can also be done to your requirements for a few hundred rand more.

BAM! these guns are good!

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Warrick , what I wonder abouth the most is being such a large weapo does it not make scope fitment a problem.Wont the scope be too far forward ? The feel of the gun suits me just wonder what others think.Being a Daystate copy is the Daystate that big too? Daystate's price is big as we all know.Have not tried 1 for size .

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

the length of pull of the sporter is a bit on the long side......
    but the t/h is pretty much the ave. length, see pic when compared to the hornet and s4X0 t/h.

[link=hyperlink url]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-9/833568/compare.JPG
    [/link]

i found da bam's thumbhole to be more "spacious" than the AA, but best try it first b4 handing over the cash.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

The BAM is by no means a large weapon and the stock on the 51 thumbhole version is considerably shorther than the std 51 version...in fact the TH 51 version is far superior ergonomically....something is not quite right with the dimensions of the 50.

I have modified my 51 quite extensively and it is shooting really well...email me for more info if you require...

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

See BAM vs S400 thread

[link=hyperlink url]http://airguns.edutouch.co.za/forum_viewtopic.php?3.9071.7[/link]
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Mon Aug 01 2005, 02:18PM ]</span>