Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Angle Indicator

casper's Avatar casper

Default Angle Indicator

Have a look at http://www.targetshooting.co.za/angle.htm for an angle indicator that is calibrated for easy use.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Casper
    who makes it and how much for it ?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

All the guys going to the worlds need one of these !
    (wait till Dale sees this :-) )

casper's Avatar casper

Neil, I made the one in the photo. The callibration is working well and will have a more refined unit later this week. It is quite labour intensive. I estimate it will cost about R450.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Not a bad price at all casper, considering the examples from overseas are more in the R 1000 range !
    It's one of those things that you don't know u need until you lose because you didn't have it !

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Neil,

You know me, I really don't think adding another gadget to your rifle is going to substitute learning shooting skills.

I don't recall Nick Jenkinson needing something like this to win three world championships!

Dale

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I like it, but won't put it on my rifle (the wife allready says I just need lights and then I have a nice christmas tree)

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Dale,
    Your'e my man!!! Nothing can substitute good (shooting) skills. The idea I tried, for half my live,to instill into the minds of my children's and other younsters's minds when coaching them to play tennis.Practice and natural aptitude can not be substitited by gadgets!! If you don't reach the top, accept it ,but always give it your best shot(no pun intended) and nothing less.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I have trouble with keeping my eyes on bubble levels & angle indicators etc. while at the same time concentrating on the sight picture. %-6 Besides what's next, solar powered barometric Beaufort windscale converters in digital format? 'Houston, we have a problem' !ill
    Having said that, t'is a 'nice to have' toy though.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

how long do u guys reckon 'till we get target scopes with built in lazer range finder?????

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

A birdie told me that military snipers has them.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

It's been here for some time.
    I've seen a Swarovski ad in the 'Magnum' a few years ago. Can't remember the model name, but is was rather bulky and square.Don't know if they still make it.

casper's Avatar casper

I don't think that good shooting skills can be substituted by anything. But, we use scopes and some with range finding. Is this a gimmick or a tool? To be able to do range finding is to know, to do angle correction is to know better.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Dale has always told me that he's not "into" all these gadgets, but note that he still uses a bubble level to minimize canting. I respect that, it's his choice and it works for him !

To some of you a bubble level is also a gadget ...

Now let's talk about these so called shooting skills, how much exactly do you aim off (up or down) on a 30mm hole @ 40m at a 35% angle ... most of you will reply just aim a little over or under, you know what I don't like aiming over or under a little, that's exactly why I dial in. I practice to aim exactly spot on. The only time I use mildots is when I have to aim left or right.
    Spend R 10 000 on a very accurate airgun and scope, test for the most accurate pellet, set up rangefinding, zero rifle at all possible distances so that you can dial in and then don't know where the hell to aim when you're shooting at an angle, JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.
    I don't care how good you are and how much you have "refined" your shooting skills, that all will help you jacks#!t if u don't know where to aim !

And guess what, all these things are TESTED to the max at the Worlds, with very very little margin for error, there are no gimmes like at club level, they want to see who's the best. I would hate to lose because I don't use a very cheap yet VERY EFFECTIVE device.

"To be able to do range finding is to know, to do angle correction is to know better. " well said !!!

With guns I really don't support all technology, but this is actually a tool that you should use to your own advantage. Guess what, snipers also use them, why, because they can't afford to guestimate, they need to know exactly.

Use it ... don't use it ... 8)

<span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Wed Jul 20 2005, 09:13AM ]</span>

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Hi Neil, yes you have been able to hoist me on my own petard re the bubble level , however I am only commenting on my experiences of some sixteen years in FT including world championships. In that time I have missed a fair few target and hit a fair few as well.

I have tried just about every gadget going and have owned in excess of a hundred different rifles and god knows how many scopes. There is an awful lot to be said for keeping equipment as simple as possible as you have quite enough to cope with at championship level FT matches, bear in mind you have a strict time limit being enforced as well (1 minute per target), so adding one more thing to thing about is not necessarily a good thing, besides, from experience I will guarantee you will miss far more targets through canting the rifle than from uphill and downhill shots.

Dale