Thread: importation of air guns

kdphysio's Avatar kdphysio

Default importation of air guns

i'm currently based in london and am relocating to southern cape next year. does anyone know the current guidelines/law re importing airguns (specifically walther cp88 comp, .177) into south africa?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Shouldn't be any problems as long as they under .22 cal. Have a copy of the Fire-arms Control Act (FCA) with you just in case. Well thats what police told me when I looked at bring in airguns & black powder rifles last year. There may be some customs duties but not sure about that. Might be easiest to courier them instead?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

If u r relocating I presume you will bring lotsa stuff in a container, I suggest that your airguns not in that container otherwise u will experience loss of equipment. Bring with u, u only paid R 500 for it so the import won't be "expensive"

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

You shouldnt have to pay anything if its a personal item and you are coming to live in SA. ITs only us poor sods who want to bring stuff when we come back that get stung. You paid Tax on it in the UK so you shouldnt pay. You just have tp go through the Firearms routine at both airports. I was in and out at JHB Int in 3 minutes.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi Guys, I have been looking for some definitive answers on the forum and this is a close as I get. Is there any form of import certificate prior to leaving. I was going to ensure it was well within a well padded shipping crate and listed in the inventory as .177 pellet rifle. The thought of having it on my person coming through borders via air makes the hairs stand up on my back!

Any ideas or warnings on 'theft out of containers/shipping'?

Regards
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Sun Mar 19 2006, 09:32PM ]</span>

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Howzit guys, I am new to this forum but would really appreciate any advice on the below. I took delivery yesterday of my new Theoben E-Type which is a very nice rifle. I have attached some pics.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by SurfnSpear
    Hi Guys, I have been looking for some definitive answers on the forum and this is a close as I get. Is there any form of import certificate prior to leaving. I was going to ensure it was well within a well padded shipping crate and listed in the inventory as .177 pellet rifle. The thought of having it on my person coming through borders via air makes the hairs stand up on my back!

Any ideas or warnings on 'theft out of containers/shipping'?

Regards