Thread: Ultimate Scope choice?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Ultimate Scope choice?

If you had to choose your ultimate scope for FT, which one would it be and why?

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Tasco Custom 8-40X56

It has 1/4 MOA adjustments and awesome optics [better than the big Nikko]

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Leupold /Premier 20-50x50 SF
    2nd Choice wuold be Tasco SF
    Third would be Big Nikko SF

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I have not not had the experience of scopes you guys have, but what is the big issue? If you can see the target and range finding is ok, why use a more expensive scope? My answer would be ... because I can.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Range finding gets a lot more accurate when the optics improve

Turret adjustments must be repeatable and turrets must not wear out over time.

Picture quality especially in low light or shooting against a lot of glare also improves.
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Sat Jul 23 2005, 11:32PM ]</span>

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

U get what u pay for (in most cases), with good quality glass you also get things like repeatability.
    Once you have owned a good quality scope you'll never want to go back to the so called cheaper scopes, believe me !

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Spyker my ultimaate scope is not for sale as it has not been invented .Digital scope that range finds and adjusts the cross hairs automaticaly.You just pull the triger. Seriously though I would not mind a scope with a sidewheel,

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

NS Nighteater offer VERY good value for money, if u look around u can find a 6-24 SF for about R 1200

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

pity they don't make those custom shops anymore......and there are only 2? in ZA so i guess there's not really a 2nd hand market over here.......

i would say the big nikko's/lynx are suffice even at worlds level, but then we all have unlimited wants.............and always want something better.

if SF is not a requirement, there are more options availble....
    other than the pr/leupy, there are a few more top quality SF scopes eg NF NXS, burris blk diamond.....etc but i think the problem is that they are designed for big bores, and not really suited for airgun/ft ranges.

myself, i'm practising shooting FT with fixed mag at the moment......... so when i grow up one day and get the PR boosted MK4 m1, the transition will be as smooth as my walnut stock.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

For me my favourite FT scope is my PR Leupold Mk4.

At 32x it is not the highest mag around but it more than compensates for that in terms of its optical quality. Also it is built to be tough and reliable given that it is primarily a military /police sniper scope.

As it is a fixed mag it does take pracitce to work with but if you are prepared to learn then it is an excellent sight.

The Tasco Custom Shop's are pretty good scopes (when you get one with good optics), but they can be variable, plus having seen inside one the build quality is not stunning, but they will do a pretty good job. Generally I have found the big Nikko's to be good value for money. But as with any of the lower priced SF scopes don't expect Leupold quality, but you will get some reasonable kit.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Contrarily to what most people think and say, I still maintain that the Hawke 8x32 side wheel is a lot better than my big N/S and I really enjoyed shooting with it. I wish my daughter wants to give it back to me!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

i can swop my sidewinder + R2000 for ur big nikko?
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Tue Jul 26 2005, 09:49PM ]</span>

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Verry happy with my Lynx 10-50x 60, but will upgrade to a Leupold one day

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

gerrief did you notice a big weight difference between those two scopes?