Thread: What mounts do you use?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default What mounts do you use?

What mounts do you okes use? There is quiet a range to pick from and the prices can range from R80 to R500. Do you really need the most expensive? At the moment I am using Hawk match mounts. I have changed from high mounts to medium high mounts and the trajectory of the pellets have become much flatter, resulting in that I don?t have to adjust the scope that much from shot to shot.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

i use sports match they are bludy expensive!
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Wed Jul 27 2005, 05:44PM ]</span>

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

the mounts i purchase..........pretty much dependent on what's available at the given time. got them hawke match, sportsmatch, thor eng, bsquare......
    no difference in performance was ever noticed.
    would like to get BKL's though..........

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Neal, Surely the trajectory has not changed just your line of view through the trajectory.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I only use BKL Mounts

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I'm currently using the B-Square on my S410.
    On my HW90 I'm using the Dampa mount from SportsMatch. Anything else the recoil eats for breakfast.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

I use BKL, Sako, Sportsmatch, Millet, Warne and Hillver rings.

In terms of do you need the most expensive mounts, not necessarily.

However you would be well advised to get the best you can afford - after all it is not much point spending a lot of money on a rifle and scope then compromising quality on the mounts as it is the mounts that have to securely and reliably connect the rifle and scope to make a workable outfit.

Dale
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Wed Jul 27 2005, 01:43PM ]</span>

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

sorry to hijack the thread, got a question re mounts........

the issue of rail width...... most of the airgun mounts are advertised for 9.5-11mm (ie 3/8" or 11mm) dove tails, and some by turning the clamps the other way around can accomodate up to 13mm+ rails. where the bkl's are self centering, just make sure u get the right ones eg 3/8"/11mm or 13mm.

question, is this an issue????

eg the hornets' rails are 13mm. i've got s/m 13mm specific mounts on them.......... but what if i use normal 11mm mounts??? in theory, if i zero at 30m, that means i will be out by 1mm at point blank and 1mm the other side @ 60m. and in real life???? no matter how much of a sharp shooter i think i am i don't think i will be able to tell the difference........

just trying to justify spending money on 4 sets of bkl's that's all.........

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Hi Hardy,

In respect of using mounts specific to the rail width I would say that it is fairly important to ensure that the mounts are correct. If you use 9-11mm mounts on a BSA Max-Grip rail (13mm), even with the clamps reversed, then the scope will not be aligned centrally over the bore axis (either to the left or right depending on which side you have the clamp fitted).

The effect of this is that when you zero your scope for say 30 metres and you shoot at targets closer and further you will find your pellet impact is one side of the vertical crosshair at close range, dead on at your zero distance and moves to the other side of the vertical wire with increasing distance.

At the short ranges this offset is fairly small but beyond your zero distance it steadily increases (think of this in terms of an angular offset ) as your sightline is divergent to your trajectory. When I have exeperienced this problem in the past it amounts to more than 1mm at distance.

As you will appreciate the effect of wind increases with distance as well so you would need to deal with a diverging flight line plus wind - not an easy task and not really acceptable.

Dale

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

aarh...........i see. tks dale for the answer.
    better get me some BKL's

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

hawke match mounts on s200 and aa 400classic