Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Field Target Rules

Protea FT Team '11
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Default Field Target Rules

Hi guys

Just to get some comments following on from the tread of the DQ at the 7 March PTA provincial...

As I'm a newbie to this sport, I'm still a little confused with certain aspects of the rules.

The rules don't always spell out all the issues...As actual examples, the following:

1) I was posting on the UK BBS forum, asking advice on a single point sling. I received a number of PM's stating that they don't like using slings as it HAS TO STAY ATTACHED to the rifle for the entire competition, as the "rules" state that you're not allowed to add or remove any elements to the rifle during the shoot...Now, what do the rules actually imply regarding using the sling and removing it whilst the competition is running?

2) When a shooter shoots at a target, and "misses", ie it doesn't fall over, and the "scorer/marker" marks a MISS on the scorecard, and 1 minute later, while the shooter has just finished shooting at the second target (but is still sitting on the carpet in the shooting area), the first target falls over...what is the rule? Does the scorer/marker change the "miss" to a "hit" on the scorecard or not...unless I can't read properly, couldn't find it in the rules....

3) Slings - the rules state a SINGLE sling is allowed...does it mean single POINT sling attachment, or is it allowed to be attached to the front AND back of the stock?...

Long and short is - there are a number of issues that are not CLEARLY defined in the rules...

Any informed comments??

Thanks a million.

Cheers

Robbie

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I understand the "sling rule" as you do. AFA I'm concerned, you are not allowed to click the sling on or off from your rifle, put on or remove your shooting jacket, gloves, shoes or any thing that is attached or worn at the time of the competition starting. I was told by some people in the UK you can used any thing as long as you don't put it on and take it off your rifle, that includes a pad on your hamster(Which we also now allow) I have a normal rifle sling on my FT rifle.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

so you cannot put on a shooting glove for the standing shots only?

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

wow. this puts a whole new perspective on things. gloves not alowed to be removed for sitting? damn that thing is going to be sweaty. Also the single point sling unclip seems strange.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

being a semi-anarchist I hence prefer shooting at home and making up my own rules..hehe

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

hehe.. with the hot days we get you probably would use a new glove every shoot and have to cut it off after the shoot

Maybe the SAFTAA guys can tell us if glove removal and sling unclipping would be allowed?

Protea FT Team '11
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

This is exactly my point...there are "interpretations" to be made...Would be nice if rules were SET, so you knew what you could and couldn't do...

It's like the cushion rule too...it needs to fit into a "slot" of 12,5cm x 40cm. You could (with some effort) almost shove ANY size cushion through such a slot...

Thing is, I've seen guys at the shoots using "quick-release" handstops to attach/remove their slings from the rifle whilst the competition was in progress, and was wondering whether it was or wasn't allowed...?

Any of the SAFTAA committee members like to comment?

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

I aggree. I operate on the same concept. Unclip for sitting shots?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Globalstar66 View Post
    Hi guys

Just to get some comments following on from the tread of the DQ at the 7 March PTA provincial...

As I'm a newbie to this sport, I'm still a little confused with certain aspects of the rules.

The rules don't always spell out all the issues...As actual examples, the following:

1) I was posting on the UK BBS forum, asking advice on a single point sling. I received a number of PM's stating that they don't like using slings as it HAS TO STAY ATTACHED to the rifle for the entire competition, as the "rules" state that you're not allowed to add or remove any elements to the rifle during the shoot...Now, what do the rules actually imply regarding using the sling and removing it whilst the competition is running?
    As far as I know the sling has to stay attached at all times during the competition.

2) When a shooter shoots at a target, and "misses", ie it doesn't fall over, and the "scorer/marker" marks a MISS on the scorecard, and 1 minute later, while the shooter has just finished shooting at the second target (but is still sitting on the carpet in the shooting area), the first target falls over...what is the rule? Does the scorer/marker change the "miss" to a "hit" on the scorecard or not...unless I can't read properly, couldn't find it in the rules....
    Have you even seen anything like that to happen? It's possible with a faulty target but so unusual that no one worries about. In case it happens to you ask the range officer.

3) Slings - the rules state a SINGLE sling is allowed...does it mean single POINT sling attachment, or is it allowed to be attached to the front AND back of the stock?.......
    Not single point - attached to 2 points of the rifle but only SINGLE SLING.

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Hi guys

3) Slings - the rules state a SINGLE sling is allowed...does it mean single POINT sling attachment, or is it allowed to be attached to the front AND back of the stock?...

Long and short is - there are a number of issues that are not CLEARLY defined in the rules...

Any informed comments??

Thanks a million.

Cheers

Robbie
    The way I see it.Not that I make the rules .My interpritation.

1) We have also got the rule that says .Attached or otherwise.So it might be able to support the idea that you can remove it.Why is the word otherwise tyhere ?

The rule
    A single rifle sling, separate or otherwise, is permitted as a means of

steadying the aim.

2)If you are still adressing the targets the point is yours.

3)"single rifle sling" there is where the cutoff point comes.It must be a rifle sling and not a body sling.

As far as clothing goes.I cant see that you can DQ somebody for removing a jacket or putting on a rain coat.Next we will have guys DQ'ed for removing their caps

The rule
    "Al l forms of clothing are permissible." No statement of removing or not.

If you play nice then I dont see that you need to be scared.If you try take unfair advantagre then you need to be sorted out.

Protea FT Team '11
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

It's actually quite amazing how many "opinions" there are, the more you read about these things.

Very difficult to get definitive answers on certain interpretations, as the rules don't really SPELL out exactly what is meant, and seem to be fairly "vaguely" written...

Any other opinions/comments?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Any other opinions/comments?
    Yes, go and do few competitions and the things are going to get much more clear.

Protea FT Team '11
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Hi Swordfish, I plan to do just that.

Thanks

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Look the rules are not there to punish you.

If you are not sure ask a RO or put your question through the club to SAFTAA.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

So the sling has to be attached to the rifle? How about using a single sling not attached to the rifle?