Thread: Scope range finding

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Default Scope range finding

After a terrible score at PTA I thought I would make the effort to range my scope in and put the tape on all that jazz. Now what I need to ask is this. For me up to 30 m there was no proble . After that the move to 32.5 ,35 all the way to 50 was verry small .This was done at x18.This makes it hard to get an accurate range in the field, for me at least.Is this the way it is or do I need more power to range?GerrieF told me at the shoot I should try for nothing under 24x.I am sure 50x will be ideal , just dont want to spend that much just yet.What do you pro's think? ?!

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

I would say you want a minimum of 20x magnification. At this power you can get good rangefinding but you do need to get used to it for the longer distances.

The higher the magnification the easier the job, but if you are prepared to spend some time learning how a scope behaves you can get away with a lower top end mag - hence I use a 32x and 20x scopes on my FT guns.

Dale

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Allan
    Untill recently I shot with a Hawke 4-12x44 and have since upgraded to a NS NE 8-32 SF x 44. The range finding is just so much easier at 32x, then zoom down to 8/10 by and fire away! At the last Leeukop shoot I posted a respectable 26/39, which I was pleased and strangely I had my best hits on the loooong shots. The closer ones were driver and setting errors due to a miscalculation in clicks by the driver!

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Stoffeltoo .Thanks for that.I was impressed with the price and it looked good on your gun.How did you find the ranging between say 40 and 42 meters, or am I hoping for too much ?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I started with a 4x20 scope right up to the big Lynx. Get the best you can afford and if you have to wait to get the dough, wait. With the lower priced scopes (hawk etc.) the minimum I would recommend is 24x.

hilton's Avatar hilton

I'm getting a BAM40 and I'm thinking of putting on a Tasco 6-24X50 Reticle Intensified Scope. I know there is very little knowledge about the BAM40 but what do guys think of the combination anyway ?

REP: The Airgun Shop

User Info Menu

I'm also getting the BAM40, but want to see the range of that rifle before buying a scope.