Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starter Field Target kit

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Starter Field Target kit

I now have money set aside to purchase a kit for FT shooting . I have a list that I put together that fits my budget and likeing. I would like comment on this list to see if there might not be better options I have not listed or maybe other alternatives.

Should I spend more money on a better rifle and less on a scope for example. :?

It looks like I can this list for around R11,000. And this is where my budget is (plus /minus).

Maybe you guys can also suggest where the best place is to buy this kit?

My list

AA S400 Classic
    Hawke Sidewinder 8,5-34x52
    Hawke Mounts
    Silencer (SA make)
    Gun box (plastic)
    Bottle and connection (25L)

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

You can't go wrong with the gun. Perhaps the value you are getting for your scope is doubtful. As where to get the kit? I am sure you can track down some from Red Orange on 0833276564 and maybe buy a Dive Style magazine. There were some specials on SCUBA tanks including delivery. Don't forget to add a pellet trap to your list and a chronoscope wouldn't hurt either - but you're probably better off trying to borrow one of those.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks Albereth

As far as the scope is concerned I wanted a scope that had good magnification and the a side parallax adjustment to make range finding easier. Am I wrong in thinking this is important?

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Nighteater scope is far cheaper.25L tank is BIIIIIG 12L is more portable and should cost less.For just a few extra thousand I dont think there is much to challenge a S400.If I am wrong I would like to know what the alternative is. FX make some nice guns .The plastic just puts me off.FX 2000 is a bit of a jump in price I think.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

if it's me, this is what i would do............

buy the AA S400, imho, best in its class (closely followed by the hornet).
    za made silencer i assume woodchucks, they work, but no way near oe AA ones, personally i would just get the AA one from the start. but if it's for FT only, maybe consider a mfc???
    hawke mounts, they do the job.
    i would than buy the best scope with what's left........and bug the shop for refills, and make do with a padded bag..............until the next payday

if u really want the sidewinder, i've got one (as new, no marks...etc) boxed with the optional side wheel, and i will even throw in Bsquare or promounts for R2000 neg.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

You are spot on. The Hawke, in my books, is great for the money. I was told that by the shop owner that sold me my big N/S when I gave mine to my daughter. It has good optics and is nice and light. You should pay around R1700 for it, not much more.
    A 300Bar 10Litre bottle should not cost you much more than R1800-000 S/Hand. Go for it. That leaves you with change.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Urabus, I also want to hunt with the rifle so a good silencer would be nice. I take it that the AA silencer is quieter than the Woodchuck?

What would you suggest for a scope? Your top 3 choices for a beginner like me.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

off the shelf, the AA silencer is pretty good. i personally know a few guys that initially bought the w/c, and then upgraded to the AA or custom jobs later on.

for FT, the big nikko offers the best value for money.

i'm looking for a all-rounder myself, all 3 in 6.5-20 X 40/44. the leupold efr ao, nikkon ao and and lynx sf. the problem is bar the lynx, they are more expensive than the big nikko.

i saw a really nice all rounder set up at pta league. a uk spec hw100 (ie carbine barrel) with the EFR. tasty very tasty.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Hi Chris,

In terms of a first outfit that would be suited to both FT and hunting then for a rifle the S400 is about the best you can get it is accurate and reliable with very little to go wrong. I personally use a modified S400 for FT in the UK and have found it so good that I have sold off my Pro-Target (forerunner of the EV2).

In terms of the scope, just remember that the more gadgets you get at a budget price that something has to give in order for those goodies to be fitted. I would say if you could get a higher spec front P/A scope it would be a better option. A couple of my favourites that I recommend to newcomers in the UK are the Opti-Mate 5-20x50 (most of the scopes called Opti-Mate in the UK are sold in SA under the Lynx brand) and the Nikko Stirling Target Master 6-24x44, Lynx also offer a 6-24x42 scope which I personally think is an excellent scope as well.

While these scopes have a lower top end magnification than the scope you mention the optical quality and build quality is superior and they will give very good rangefinding results.

If your budget allows, then as Lewis rightly says on another thread, the N/S 10-50x60 is about the best budget side focus FT scope. It does however have one downside in that it is large and bulky.

In terms of scope mounts I would say go for the best you can buy so Sportsmatch, BKL or similar.

On the silencer go with the Air Arms it is about as good as it gets.

Dale

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks all for the valuable info.

It seems that the AA S400 is definetly the one to get and the AA silencer (or though it seems that both are difficult to get hold of right now.) But the scope is bringing up many comments.

The Big Hawke was my first choice. The N/S 10-50x60 seems to be my next choice but some seem to think that something smaller/cheaper is just as good.

Gerrief, is the big N/S really that bad or should I consider it?

Dale, is the big N/S a better option than the Lynx and other scopes you mentioned.

Urabus, do you have a big N/S and what is the price?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Chris, I put my Big Nikko alongside a Lynx and I couldnt tell the difference, seems to me they both came from the same maker, its just a heavy scope and I'm seriously considering downgrading for my next buy as I never go higher than 30x anyway.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

yes i've a big nikko, i'm not sure if u r asking what i paid for it or if it's for sale?

well, it's not for sale, and i paid just over 4k for it.....iirc, camdix do them @ R3950.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Chris,
    No the big N/S is not bad by a long shot (pun intended), it is just, as some of the guys like Brian and Dale said, it is big and heavy and also expensive. The idea of high magnification is to range finding more accurately. Hennie, and myself for that matter, shoot at 10 only although we use 50x to range find like all the big scope users do. The problem, for me at least, is not to find out how far the target is or how clear it is, it is hitting the damn thing, at any magnification available. Just remember the high manification magnify your shivers and wobbles also, to the point where I get sea sick (and blue in the face due to lack of oxygen) just trying to find the range. So what I'm saying is: At high mag I miss by a smaller margin, or is it bigger ?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Here's my advice on the kit
    AA S400 Classic , they are very good value for money and definately tops when it comes to accuracy and reliability, they can also be "worked" on later.

SF scopes, u get what u pay for (and you see the difference at top mag), min 24x mag, bigger better (for rangefinding). First consider 50x Nikko or Lynx, if too heavy (at 1.1kg) consider lower mags like Nikko, Leapers or Lynx, but limit yourself to 24x mag. Get a BIG sidewheel.

Budget mounts then get the lynx mounts, they are excellent value for money and can even be made to exactly fit the guns rail, dealer must measure exactly and phone Lynx. Lynx local support is EXCELLENT. If u have more money consider something like Sportsmatch (BKL not available here - that I know of)

Silencer - I also prefer the AA version, very effective, worth every cent !

Gun box - Have a look at the new camo Nikko Stirling cases, not plastic but not steel either, looks very kieff (spelling) if u know what I mean.

Bottle and connection - 10-12 L is more than enough, if u can get a 300bar go for it, you get more fills from it. You can go 2nd hand bottle, just make sure it's been tested and up to date.

After that, enjoy !

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

How many guys use a 50x (Like the N/S or Lynx). I can only tell after using the scope for a while wether it is to heavy or not.

If the choice was between a N/S Nighteater 6-24x56 and a N/S Sidewinder 10-50x60 what would people choose?