Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sound Barrier

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Sound Barrier

Finally broken the sound barrier with my standard AA 410.
    I bought pellets for the CO2 pistol, orange plastic jobbies with a metal insert 5,7g made in USA, and decided to test the accuracy at longer range.
    The first shot broke the sound barrier and the pellets were flying all over the place. Closed the power to sub 12ft/lbs (with aa's) but accuracy was still bad.
    At 15 m they group into 30mm.
    At 30 m 2 out of ten pellets hit the A4 paper.

Great to hear a pellet break the sound barrier!

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

what is the sound barrier? (fps)

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

It is the speed of sound. Think it is about 1120fps depending on temp and altitude.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

don't shoot too many of them skenco pink jobbies......the plastic gets "melted" in the rifling!!!!

speed of sound calculator:
    [link=hyperlink url]http://www.measure.demon.co.uk/Acoustics_Software/speed.html
    [/link]

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

i also use the plastic jacket of those things to break the sound barrier with my normal 12ft/ibs gun

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

hey moose, nice choice, are they bringing in uk spec now? if so who?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Better not put those things in my Condor, could by touching Mach 1 at full power.
    Moose, you absolutely sure its the HW100, not going to change your mind a couple of 100 times?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Why not get a steyr moose?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

urabus they havent done it before but i got jason to phone who ever stocks him and they said they could bring one in at the end of the month for me.....what happened last time was that i could have got the steyr but i would have a a hawke air max for a scope so instead i got the hornet and the lynx 10-50x60.....the HP costs R9500 and the weihrauch cost a bit less so the steyr is a bit out of my budget at the moment.....Brian you never know it could change at any moment!
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Thu Aug 04 2005, 06:51PM ]</span>

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

God forbid. &|

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

When I grow up I want a Steyr HP

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

me too

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Speed of sound at sea level is 1070fts.It is when a pressure wave builds up in front of the pellet or wing of an aircraft to such an extent that the energy is released in the form of a supersonic bang,hence resulting in the wild unstable tumbling effect of the pellet.This is called the Bernouilli Effect.Remember when the Bell X1 broke the sound barrier in 1947,well,with level wings the control of the plane was almost lost due to instability of the controls(rudder and elevator lockup).The problem was solved with swept back winds and a thin fuselage with large surface area elevation and rudder controls.
    Stoffeltoo tested the Gamo 1250 with AA fields and got 1150fps with a 27fps variance over a spread of 10 shots.Steve Hall (Gamo USA) tested this gun with Gamo Pro Match pellets and got between 1200 and 1350fps.Myself and MCJ will chronograph this Monster over the coming weekend with Gamo Pro Magnums,Gamo TS10's,and Dynamic Terminator 1 air bullets.This is going to be interesting as this particular pellet is shaped like a bullet and upon exiting the barrel,the skirt is compressed and becomes flush with the body of the pellet hence providing a smoother airflow over the pellet and minimising shock wave disturbance resulting in improved accuracy.At 9,6 grains it should crack the sound barrier as we expect plus minus 1100fps.With the TS10's We expect plus minus 1070fps which is bang on the limit.Seems as though this particular pellet was designed for this gun.Maybe Guido can fill us in with his FAC experience.I think his TALON spits out 40ft/lb at the muzzle.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

40ft\lbs but the pellets are 25.6gr so they are doing only about 880fps
    A springer shooting .177 pellets at 1150fps sounds like quite a beast...I doubt it will be very accurate.
    Why the obsession with these high velocities??

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

The problem with pellets exceeding the speed of sound is that it only crosses over the barrier for a short time. The shockwave then has time to catch up to the pellet hence the inaccuracy. Cartridge type weapons accelerate at a rapid rate so the shockwave has no time to catch up with the speeding bullet