Thread: Two eyes or one

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Default Two eyes or one

I shoot with 1 eye open.Today I tried both open.The zero moved over a bit but I could see no other reason why to have both open.Any Ideas?
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited ]</span>

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I try to use two, find that if I hang around too long with one eye I have to forget the shot and rest. Takes a bit of practice but after a while you'll find you can switch from one to the other.

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Cant see much past the sope though.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

i use 2

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

One eye on the target the other to look at the conditions (grass/target rope.......). Very usefull for FT.

REP: The Airgun Shop

User Info Menu

2 eyes. Works well when light conditions are bad.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I use only one eye because that is the way my father showed me and it has worked fine for me since then (1990). Don't you get distracted sometimes when you have 2 eye's open ? And if how do you guys deal with it ?

__________________________________________________ ________
    BAM 50, NS Nighteater 6-24x44 mildot

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

When I put my eye to the scope I have both open, after target acquisition I close the one.

REP: The Airgun Shop

User Info Menu

My grandpa taught me how to shoot when I was small laaitie... he kept both eyes open, and so did I. Only realized later the reason he kept both eyes open was because he was blind in the one eye.

MOT: Thomson Pneumatic Rifles

User Info Menu

If you do not have a problem like, being right handed and left eye dominant try and shoot both eyes open. You get better sight picture (it may not seem like it to start with), and as explained to me by an Olympic shottist and a coach it stops the brain seeing a "false' image of the target. As Lewis said already it allows you to see conditions around you as well as potential accidents.
    Next time you have a chance watch another shooter shoot with one eye closed, you will see as they hold for the shot the eye that is closed starts to tremor, this is transmitted to the scope and causes errors.
    I also shoot both eyes open on open sights, now that takes getting used to! But the groups prove it works.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Shooting both eyes open works fine for me when using open sights, but when using a scope one eye is closed.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Initially I shot with one eye closed. Being right handed but left eye dominant is a bit of a problem. Trained my brain (left eye) to forget what it's seeing and concentrate on the right. Trouble was I would get parallax errors without even noticing it. When I eventually found this out (about 3000 shots!! lol), I went back to one eye and became more consistent.

Here's a little tip for people who don't know which is their dominant eye....

Pick out something about 20 - 30 meters away, a car for example. Now take both your hands and using the thumbs and forefinger, create a triangle at arms lenght, size the triangle so that only the car fits in it. Now keeping the car inside this triangle bring your hands slowly towards your head. Whichever eye ends up inside the triangle is your dominant eye.

hth

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Cool trick.Must try it.Think I know what the result will be.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Both eyes, with all types of shooting instruments & sights.