Thread: Barrel Cleaning

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Barrel Cleaning

Got my S400 on Friaday... beautiful to say the least....

I want to start off on the right foot from the start. What would you all suggest is the best thing to use to clean the barrel? There is much debate around using brushes, as well as what "white spirit" is. Opinions welcome...

Thanks,

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Paul , I use cloth pull throughs with Napier or Q20 on the cloth,Remember to have the rifle upsidedown and the barrel pointing down. If I could get white spirits I would try it.I used a brush in my springer and was not happy with the results.I am sure it did some hard.Enjoy your new Baby

Sonic's Avatar Sonic

I think the reason why the brush hurt your springer was because you may have pushed it through in both directions , I learned this the hard way

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Sonic ,I think that is the problem.Only thing is you dont know till its too late.Do you have your gun now?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Great rifle you've got there Paul. 8)

I wouldn't clean the barrel unless your groups start opening up.

I'm about 30 odd short of 10 000 pellets shot through my S400K barrel that I haven't cleaned. It's still putting pellet on pellet at 25m rested. (That's about the limit of my ability).

I used to clean every couple of hundred shots at first, as per the AA manual but my groups opened up and took around 50 - 100 shots to tighten up again.

I shoot AA fields lubed.

Perhaps if you shoot a 'dirty' pellet (ahem) then possibly cleaning the barrel often would be benificial.

$0.02

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

You could always dip your pellets in oil and roll them sand and then shoot them.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

... or just buy accucraps. :>

Ogre's Avatar Ogre

Wouldn't recommend using a metallic brush of any sorts in an airgun's barrel. Just plain fishing line folded double to form a loop, and then just plain pull-throughs.

It is very important to not damage the crown in any way. A brush or rod could quite easily do that.

Remember an airgun does not need all the solvents and rigorous cleaning that their firearm counterparts require. Some shooters claim that the lead residue left by the pellets on the barrel lining actually aids their accuracy.