Thread: Relum Super Jelly rebuild

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Relum Super Jelly rebuild

I am busy redoing my super Jally to give to my son, I have redone the stock,traced my hand print and carved a nice pistol grip to suite his hand, most prob the most comfortable stock I have ever felt. When you shoulder it your fingers fall right into place on the pistol grip...I am jealous and will soon do the same with one of my rifles...

In any case, I now have done every thing, even converted it to take the new type of piston seals but need sights...doesn't any one know where I can get some sights that would fit on the Jally, doesn't have scope rails so cant just put a scope on it either...

Ta.

Last edited by Hawkeye; 24-04-09 at 22:39.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Kobus did you do anything to the stock, as in remove the lacquer? Some guys remove it and then sand it down for oiling. I guess not in a rifle at this level hey?

Interesting finger impressions on the grip - your kid is going to have to grow into those..

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Kobus , I have a similar Relum Super Telly rifle here too, also in need of renovation. Metal work pitted, trigger stiff (to say the least) and in need of a lot of tlc. I have yet to pull it right apart as I am worried about the springs flying all over or worse. (I think I probably just need to be brave and get on with it)
    The rear sight is also broken and I see that it is available from TW Chambers in the UK at about 12 pounds a go. part number OS212 (http://www.gunspares.co.uk/shopdispl...&cat=Telly+200 )

I have the base of the sight, the actual leaf sighting part is gone,- I was thinking to try and glue a strip of metal bent to shape on to what I have left- but I doubt it will hold. I would think that the tricky bit in fabricating a whole new sight would be getting the tight fit to locate into the slot on the rifle.
    If someone could make a sight here for less than that 12 quid (plus the cost and hassle of getting it here), I would certainly be interested. I just do not have the skills equipment or temperament to make my own.

What else did you do to yours? Did you replace the two main springs with a single one (I have been advised that is a pretty standard thing to do)?
    Where did you get the replacement seals?
    Any advice will be appreciated.

Trevor

Protea FT Team '18/'19
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    MOT: Swan Air
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lilliput View Post
    Kobus ,

I have the base of the sight, the actual leaf sighting part is gone,- I was thinking to try and glue a strip of metal bent to shape on to what I have left- but I doubt it will hold.
    Trevor
    You get an epoxy glue for steel that will last you a lifetime. I don't know what it is called but you can find it at any steel merchant. I am not talking about Pratley's.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Trevor, I am going to make a spring guide for the bigger spring and chuck out the inner one, For now I made an spacer in front, like a tophat but the seal screws into it from the front of the piston to keep it there and hold the seal...For the seal I am using my old CFX seal, I took that old Jally red thingamajig that holds the old seal, turn the screw around push it through the red material and held it with a nut on other side, now put it in drilling machine and shape it on a bench grinder (while both are spinning) to fit inside the shape of the new type seals, quite simple actually...Make it a little bit bigger so it can adjust...the harder you pull it in the new seal the more the tip will expand giving you a tighter fit...

Hope this makes sense...

ps: such an old rifle with a trigger adjustment?
    Last edited by Hawkeye; 25-04-09 at 11:30.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

ps: I think they put an spring inside the main spring to act as a spring guide, not for extra power, if you compress the spring it becomes like a solid little sleeve...With the spacer infront I'm sure it shoots the same Fps as my B40

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

John141, I did sand down the stock to bare wood, engraved the finger grips and used Woodoc polyurethane varnish to spray it again, for protection, this stuff is durable against dents and scratches...and no, his hands fit perfect into the grip!! He is chuffed!!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Lilliput, seems like you have some sanding to do

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thanks for reminding me Cor , I have some cold weld glue in my garage- ST 100, brilliant stuff! not the easiest to work with but it does do a permanent job if you can get the components to sit still long enough for it to grip.

Thanks Kobus , you are way ahead of me! I will just have to crack it open and see what you are talking about.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

OK, the Super Telly is done and I now see what Kobus was talking about.
    The old leather piston seal was in tatters , so I found a suitable piece of leather, made a replacement seal and with a bit of a struggle fitted it into the cylinder. The red plastic cap and long rivet which holds it all to the piston were secured by flaring the rivet out with a long rod and a couple of taps with a hammer. Since I had my old Weihrauch 97K spring available and it fitted quite nicely we now have the super telly running again and a couple of chrony readings show a creditable 530fps . A new sight was fabricated and fitted and the gun shoots very nicely - five shot group of about 20mm at 15m.
    Now for a consideration of the cosmetics. I think a coat of matt hammerite will smarten the metal work up enough for now.

I must say that pulling apart this old thing has really made me appreciate the precision engineering of the H97K.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Good for you Trevor, breathing life into that old rifle
    Machining today and machining those years cant be compared though you know? Do you now know what I did to fit the newer type seals?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I must say the leather seal does not fill me with confidence, once again , when viewed against the 97K set up.but I guess that was the way then and it still works now, just not as good as the new seals.

I would hesitate to put modern parts into the Telly now, even if I could make them fit.
    It is a bit like my '54 Morris Minor, it is nice to have it as original as possible (so long as it works reasonably well).

The Super Telly belongs to one of my staff and I will show him tomorrow how far we have got. I think it must be up to him now to do the face lift and fix up.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

PIMP it.... PIMP it..... PIMP it....