Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to See Pellet in Flight

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default How to See Pellet in Flight

I was shooting last night off a bench rest in the dark. I had a 12V spotting lamp on a table directly below the barrel, shining onto the target 30y away. I was amazed to see that so long as I kept my eyes open during the shot !amazed , I could see the pellet flying through the air to the center of the crosshair. Really wild! Scope magnification was around 5X. Velocity around 800fps. Has anyone else experienced this?

Works best if aiming at somrthing dark as it contrasts nicely with the shine off the pellet.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I've seen my pellets against a black back drop.
    My dad used to tell me that the cannons they used in 19voetsek you could also see the projectile on its way to the target.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

If you hold your rifle perfectly (pcp only) you will see the pellet fly almost every time.

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

I always thought it was only possible withan expensive scope .Then at at the range shooting at a dark backdrop with the sun at my back I saw it go on its way with my Hawk.

MCJ's Avatar MCJ

Still remember the first time I saw the pellet in flight, like Lewis said only with PCP, never seen it with my Weihrauch.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I have also seen my pellet in flight, I was shooting at a black rabbit target with the sun behind me, I picked up 10 out of the 12 pellets fired in my Nikko with the power on 10x

Sonic's Avatar Sonic

It also happens with a laser sight. As the pellet crosses the beam at the distance it is zeroed at.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I have seen it with my Weihrauch HW90 .22 a couple of times

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Seen this often with sun from behind. with 10m air rifle shooting same can be observed, often with the perfect body position, totally relaxed and a perfect release with follow through. Lighting conditions must be perfect though

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Do everyone elses pellets corkscrew or am I seeing things?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Brian, must be all the red dust you've been inhaling....

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Brian that brings a long accupel discussion to mind.Do you have a silencer fitted ?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Yes it does, the rifling imparts spin to the pellet, and it oscillates around its centre due to friction with air as it goes toward the target.........

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I suppose a dusty cough at the moment of trigger pull could impart some wobbly effect but I see it all the time at Durban deep range in the morning, (sun behind) Pellet looks like it climbs then rotates to the right, sometimes wonder how it actually hits the target. bit like water going down the sink. I used to be able to see the 6" shells we fired in the Navy but if they did that they where too far away to see by then.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

In respect of the spiralling pellet syndrome I seem to recall that in the early 90's the now late Gerald Cardew did several articles in Airgunner on this subject (this is when the airgun mags still had intelligent articles in them).

By practical experiment I seem to recall that he actually showed that there is no spiral in the pellets flight. To be honest though if you think about it logically, while the pellet spins around its own axis owing to the effect of the rifling, it can't be 'spiralling' in flight. Would it actually be possible to hit the target in the same point with every shot if it was spiralling.

Stoffeltoo, if there is any oscillation, it would be so slight as to be undetectable otherwise the rifle would not be accurate.

Cardew's proof IIRC consisted of setting up his experimental rig called 'the projector' on an indoor range and setting up targets made of rice paper (or something similar) that could be penetrated with very little resistance, at about every 5 yards. Pellets were then fired through the series of targets the holes formed in each target showing that the pellet was not corkscrewing in flight.

I think that what we see as a 'corkscrew' in the flight is actually a perception only. It is how our eye and brain translate the trajectory of the pellet when observed for that brief point in time.

Brian, you perceive a climb and rotate to right, the pellet is going to 'climb' because in order to zero the rifle the barrel has to be elevated relative to the line of sight, hence you are firing the pellet upwards (slightly), so there is your climb. In terms of rotate to right I assume you are right handed? If so your head is probably inclined slightly over to the right to look through the scope and I think this gives the impression of the 'rotate to right' that you perceive.

Logically if we placed an air rifle action in a solid rest in a no wind environment and fired a series of groups at successive distances, if this spiral phenomenon existed then our groups would vary in position around our aim point up down left and right, yet when I have tested rifles in this manner they do not exhibit the spiral effect.

Dale

<span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Fri Aug 19 2005, 08:53AM ]</span>