Thread: Snr vs Jnr

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '11/'14

User Info Menu

Default Snr vs Jnr

Hi All
    I was just wondering what the situation is with results/ medals/ prizes in league shoots, where there are Primary school, Secondary school and out of school shooters. I have attended quite a few shoots and find it slightly unfair that 10 year olds have to compete with very good adults. The FT National Rules (point 15) on the Saftaa website actually mentions the classes. It's breaking morale instead of building it.
    Just wondering ......
    Tx

Sharp Shooter
    Protea Benchrest (Air) Team '08/'10/'11/'13/'15
    WBRAF President '15

User Info Menu

At the Excalibur Firearms Ranch Welkom we have 3 classe under 10 (PW) under 16 (JR) and over (SR) we shoot air rifle under the FS Benchrest Ass. This past weekend it was the FS Benchrest open Championship in all disiplines. In the air rifle section BRC25 the 1st place overall were Kyly Bagshawe-Smith (11 years old) 4900 out of 5000
    and 3rd place over all Coenie Schoonwinkel (9 years old) 4850 out of 5000. Myself were 6th with a score of 4725.

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

ADP , I must say in our club the Jnr's are right up there with the Snr's.Me being a Snr it makes me think I am daft for keeping a high morale.But then i shoot for fun and to improve my skill. I think that at some clubs buget prevents seperate medals.To be fair the classes should be seperated.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

If there is 3 or more juniors they must be classed seperately.

Protea FT Team '15
    REP: Daystate/Brocock Accredited Technician

User Info Menu

ADP, the following rule apply there must be at least three competitors in a class to qualify for a medal, more than six qualify for three medals. In principal I agree with you that we need to recognise the potential, but in all fairness we also need to take cognisance of the fact that it cost money to produce medals and to administer all these different classes. It is very difficult to please everybody but we will keep on trying, but we need participation and commitment to succeed.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '11/'14

User Info Menu

I agree we need to boost the juniors and get bigger participation and comitment from the parents. Problem is you never know how many will show up for a shoot before it actually happens. But let us stand together and succeed.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

All too true ADP.

Another reason for registering for shoots.

1. Guarantee of a place, if it ever comes about that there are just too many shooters for the event. (Should happen if the sport keeps growing.)

2. You will know more or less how many people are coming, thus can adjust the prizes etc to suit.

psychoSven's Avatar psychoSven

age is something interesting when it comes to shooting, as tou soon start understanding the more complex side of shooting(which would make you a better shot) certain parts of your body start working against you, in some cases that is. like eye sight, heart rate and stamina, here the younger shooters are a step ahead, so where you gain on one side you lose on the other!