Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newby needs help.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Newby needs help.

Hi there,

I would realy like to get into the Air Rifle shooting. Used to shoot .22 Bisley a few years back. I think Field Target is the discipline that would suite me best, but I know nothing of Air Rifles.

So I am willing to spend up to R2000 for now on a rifle. What should I look for in a rifle, and which are the good ones. I have heard BAM 50/51 is an option ?

Any and all comments welcome.
    Thanks
    Martin.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Go to your local club, look at the guys rifles and I'm sure they will let you have a go. Most of us bought rifles and changed to another rifle soon afterwards, not talking upgrading, just the lack of info available.

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Marty101 , with your bugeet there is not much more that the Bam 50.Most the guys go for an Air Arms S400 but that would cost +- R5000.The the other way to go is to get a springer.Last shoot I used mine and it was just as much fun as the PCP.You should be able to get an OK springer for R2000

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi Allen, I will most probably buy a PCP in the future, but I would first like to see how I like the sport etc. Unfortunately the budget IS very tight and I would like to get the best value for money give or take a R100 or so around R2000. Now you talk about a springer. Could you elaborate a bit please ? Except for the rifle, what else should I be looking for in accessories ?
    Thanks for the quick replies thus far guys.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Go see Guido in Cape town Marty. His details are in the members list. Oh and while your there ask him where my Steyr is? Enjoy, great sport and very addictive.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Go see Guido in Cape town Marty. His details are in the members list. Oh and while your there ask him where my Steyr is? Enjoy, great sport and very addictive.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Oops! Doubled up.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

You will need a scope - and that'll cost you around a grand. The cheapest start is to buy a spring powered gun. Stuff you'll need. Gun, Scope, Scope Mounts, and Pellets. Stuff you will need to use/borrow: 30m tape measure, pellet trap, targets, chronoscope, masking tape, some sort of rifle rest, 30m of space, pen and paper.

Choosing and getting the gun is the first step - oh and add a safe to the list. These things can be lethal in the wrong (or even right) hands.

Next you need to set it up and zero it in. This will take a few days. You may get your gun hitting the target at 30m within a few minutes but you need to calibrate your scope for the various ranges. Checking the muzzle velocity can help with the software you'll be using to determine all manner of things.

And then practice, practice, practice.

kellya's Avatar kellya

Hi Martin

I sit in the same predicament as you, in that i am also a newby to the sport. I took the advice previously offered and went and attended a shoot at Leeukop last Saturday, and spoke to as many people as i could. All who were asked, were very ready to pass on their experiences and wisdom about a suitable entry gun. I also seriously considered the BAM (Ultratech) as a viable entry level option. The rifle i was told, is a direct copy of one of the Daystate models, manufactured in the late 80s/early 90s, but what the chinese manufacturer did was copy the original faults as well as the gun. This relates specifically to a design fault on the filling valve, which can be costly if not rectified early.
    A member of this forum by the name of Warrick, is the resident expert on these rifles and has a lot of good to say about them. I sugest you drop him a line if you have any specific queries. Value for money, i dont think you can go wrong"niggles aside" I have decided on the CZ200S, based on its size; feel and accuracy. At R3500 it is more than what we both want to spend. The upside of the CZ is that the pressure guage and couplings are part of the price, whereas on the BAM, it is an additional expense of R600. Spares availability on the CZ, i am told are not a problem. Spares on the bam are not brought into the country by "Ramrod" in any kind of quantity, so most warranty repairs are farmed out to Warrick, whom i am assuming is a very resourceful gun smith.
    The other clincher was when visiting gun shops, where all who were asked, were aware of the Cz rifle, whereas 50% had never heard of a BAM, and therefor could not articulate an opinion. The range of aftermarket accessories such as silencers and replacement air tanks on the CZ abounded, this was not the case with the BAM. All the reviews and reports that i have read, regard the Cz as an ideal entry level PCP.
    My decision at the end of the day was to beg the "domestic finance minister" for approval on the difference, as i believe that the additional expence was worth it.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Going out to buy buy a springer at under R2000 is easy. Go to Cash Converters/Crusaders and pick up a B2 with scope combo I think they are about R399...hehe.

I would recommend the Gamo CFX Royal ... very nice underlever although the loading port takes some getting use to. This is probably the best underlever in that Price range. Break Barrels there are much more to chose from. I hear the Mendoza's are nice and also the Gamo's. That is the only quality products I know of.

If you really want a quality springer there is always the Weirauch 97, AA TX200, AA Pro Sport, but then you could just aswell buy a pcp.

I own a BAM 50 and these guns are very nice shooters, but if you don't want to tinker with it order one from Warrick. The CZ is also a nice starters pcp but a bit more expensive.

Just my 2c

Sonic's Avatar Sonic

Just make sure the scope is spring rated because the last time I put a cheap scope (non spring rated) on a shadow 1000 springer I fired one shot and the recoil tore the crosshairs out of their socket! If you invest in a descent scope you wont regret it and you can also keep it if you switch to a PCP in future. But I hope to see you having fun with what ever you decide on .
    Later.

Ogre's Avatar Ogre

If you go the PCP route - remember you will still need either a pump (R1600) or more than likely a scuba (R1700 + adapter R850) - unless you already have, or can borrow.

Just one more reason that makes going for a springer - even a top notch one. more affordable. Furthermore starting with a springer will keep bad habits from creaping into your technique.

It has been said "if you can shoot a springer - you can shoot a PCP, but not necessarily the other way round".

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

well. i don't wanna say springer is wasting money but surely it takes lot efforts to shoot. after many shots. body will get tired and concentrate on shooting is not possible no more.

i will go 4 a springer if i need to build up my arm muscles at range and save the gym cost. hehe....

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the advice guys. I have spoken to a few people over the last few days now and I have managed to turn the minister of finance's arm a little bit more. (Thanks to some payback from uncle Trevor Manual !amazed ) and I can now revise my budget up to about R5000. The one thing that keeps coming up is BAM 50. Should I or should I NOT. The people I have spoken to, all had only good things to say about it, albeit that I would have to do some work on it. Any comments on this ?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Check out these threads for some info and comments on the BAM

[link=hyperlink url]http://airguns.edutouch.co.za/forum_viewtopic.php?3.9492[/link]

[link=hyperlink url]http://airguns.edutouch.co.za/forum_viewtopic.php?3.9071[/link]

Enjoy